CanExport provides up to $50 million in federal Canadian government funding over five years to businesses in order to support their export marketing and international expansion activities. The program funds up to 1000 exporters per year and help them to improve their sales and brand exposure in international markets through trade shows and marketing activities, packaging modifications, and market research.
- Amount: Up to 50% of eligible expenses or $10,000-50,000 in cost matching funds per application. Up to two applications can be submitted per government fiscal year (April 1 to March 31).
- Eligibility: 1-500 people on payroll, $100k-$100M in annual, taxed revenues, 1+ years incorporated or a limited liability partnership (LLP). Markets must be under-developed, including countries where less than $20,000 or 10% of international sales have been generated in the past 24 months.
- Timeline: Continuous intake of applications. Apply 6-8 weeks ahead of incurring eligible project expenses. Only one project open at any one time.
- Project Focus: Enables marketing activities in under-developed export markets, including one trade show, on-site translation, marketing material adaptation/translation, market research, and related costs.
Top CanExport Resources:
- CanExport Program Overview Blog: An overview of CanExport’s funding contributions, company eligibility, and ideal project types for
- CanExport Eligibility Criteria Blog: Eligible expenses, project types, and businesses who can apply for the CanExport program. Use this information to plan your projects and maximize small business funding amounts.
- FAQs for CanExport Grants: If you still have questions after reviewing the CanExport overview and eligibility resources, this blog may be helpful to fill in any remaining knowledge gaps.
- CanExport Update: 2018 Program Enhancements: In 2018 the CanExport program restructured the way it provides export expansion funding. Companies can now apply multiple times per year, accessing up to $50,000 per application. More export markets are also eligible.
- Trade Shows to Use CanExport Funding For: Ready to use CanExport funding for a trade show in 2018? Explore international trade show opportunities for which your business could access exporting grants.
- CanExport Grants: Expanded Eligibility Criteria for Businesses
- Canadian Fall Economic Update: Impact on Business Incentives
- How to Mitigate the Risk of Export Expansion Projects
- How to Embrace USMCA with Canadian Government Funding
- Export Trade Shows for Canadian Business in 2019
Posted: January 8, 2016. Updated: December 10, 2018.