Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) is a federal government procurement program. Administered through the Department of National Defence (DND), the program seeks pre-commercial military and defence technologies that have the potential to address current challenges faced by Canada’s Armed Forces. Applicants respond to open Calls for Proposals and are eligible to receive federal government contracts based on their proposed technology plans/prototypes.
- Amount: Up to $1.2 million in government contracts for the program’s initial research and development components. Successful, fully-developed solutions may also access up to $20 million through a similar procurement program once IDEaS first two components have been accomplished.
- Timeline: Program offers a Call for Proposals for identified innovation challenges.
- Eligibility: All organization types are eligible to apply. Applicants must demonstrate at least 50% Canadian content for goods and services.
- Project Focus: Research, development, and demonstration of innovative military technologies with a technology readiness level (TRL) of 1-6.
Top Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) Resources
- Innovation for Defence Excellence and Security (IDEaS) Overview: Learn more about the IDEaS federal procurement program, including a breakdown of each program component, who’s eligible to apply, and what types of innovative concepts are accepted.
Posted: April 18, 2018. Updated: October 23, 2018.