The $950 million Innovation Superclusters Initiative supports industry-led partnerships composed of large firms, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), researchers, and intermediary institutions to build synergistic advantages in regions across Canada. Innovation clusters will focus on building an innovation ecosystem in one of Canada’s highly innovative industries, including advanced manufacturing, agri-food, clean technology, digital technology, health and bio-science, clean resources, and infrastructure and transportation.
There are five Superclusters in total under the Innovation Supercluster Initiative:
- Supply Chains and Logistics Excellence AI (SCALE.AI) – Quebec
- Digital Technology Supercluster – British Columbia
- Next Generation Manufacturing Supercluster – Ontario
- Ocean Supercluster – Atlantic Canada
- Protein Industries Supercluster – Prairie Provinces
- Amount: Grant funding from $125,000,000 to $250,000,000 towards 4-year projects. Must be matched through industry funds.
- Projects: Development of business-led innovation superclusters that promote: tech leadership, partnerships for scale, diverse/skilled talent pools, access to innovation, and global advantage.
- Timeline: Letter of Intent (LOI) application is closed. Projects can take place over 4 years.
- Eligibility: Partnership must be business-led, however non-profit entity will manage the program. Covers project costs except agreement signing, infrastructure, and payments to federal entities.
Top Innovation Superclusters Initiative Program Resources:
- Innovation Superclusters Initiative Program Overview: Learn more about how the Innovation Superclusters Initiative can support your upcoming collaborative innovation project. This overview includes a detailed breakdown of the program’s focus, how many partners must be included, and how to apply.