A short-term research or development project aimed at addressing a company specific problem that can be extended up to 6 months. Connects businesses to university researchers for new R&D partnerships. Requires a 183A Letter of Support from Company.
- Amount: Up to $25,000 from NSERC (no cash required from company).
- Timeline: Rolling applications, no deadlines, 4 – 6 week turnaround on approvals.
- Eligibility: Company must operate from a Canadian base. Eligible collaborations include focused projects with specific short-term objectives with an academic researcher from a Canadian University. No limit on how many Engage grants that a company can hold.
Top NSERC Engage Research Grants Resources
- NSERC Engage Program Overview Blog: An overview of NSERC Engage’s program focus, project expenses eligible to receive government funding, and what to expect during the application process. This blog also compares NSERC Engage to its related programs, NSERC Engage Plus and NSERC CRD.
- NSERC Engage Eligibility Criteria Blog: This blog provides a deeper understanding of what project types and expenses are eligible for NSERC Engage research grants.
NSERC Collaborative Research and Development (CRD)
A longer term research or development project, usually following an NSERC Engage project with the same faculty partners for projects up to 5 years in length to solve a larger R&D issue.
- Amount: 25-75% of project expenses covered through NSERC grant funding.
- Timeline: Rolling applications, no deadlines.
- Eligibility: Company must operate from a Canadian base. IP ownership to be agreed on by both partners.
Top NSERC CRD Research Grants Resources
- NSREC CRD Overview Blog: This Canadian business grants overview covers the focus of the program and includes funding types and amounts, as well as success stories that testify to the quality of the program.
- NSERC CRD Eligibility Criteria Blog: This article includes information regarding how to qualify for CRD research and development funding.
- NSERC CRD Frequently Asked Questions: This article answers frequently asked questions about the NSERC Engage CRD program and details the requirements of small business applicants.
- NSERC Engage and NSERC Alliance: Collaborative Research Funding
- NSERC Engage and CRD Funding Updates Expected Later in 2019
- NSERC Awards Canadian Technology Grants for Robotic Lumber Application
- NSERC Collaborative Research & Development: P2G Project Awarded $360k
- NSERC Funding: Collaborative Research and Development (CRD) Grants