The federal government created the Western Innovation Initiative for SMEs operating in western Canada. The $100 million five-year program will run from 2013-2019, providing funding to support projects that (1) commercialize innovative, technology-based products, processes, and services, (2) stimulate greater private sector investments in commercialization activities, (3) increase the number of jobs for highly qualified personnel (HQP) in Canada, and (4) enable company growth.
- Amount: Up to 50% of eligible project expenses to a maximum of $3.5M per project. Lifetime funding maximum is $10M per applicant.
- Timeline: Deadline for 2017 applications is November 29. Project length is flexible; the new technology must be commercialized within three years of the funding start date.
- Eligibility: SMEs residing for 1+ years in Western Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) with 1-500 employees. Companies may be required to obtain specific insurance for the duration of the project.
Top Resources for Western Innovation Initiative (WINN)
- WINN Program Overview: Learn more about the WINN research and development funding initiative, such as Canadian industries being targeted for funding contributions.
- WINN Eligibility Criteria: Discover eligibility criteria for the Western Innovation Initiative, such as expenses and applicants that are ineligible to receive funding.
- WINN Application Update: The current intake period for Western Innovation Initiative funding is soon approaching. Check to ensure you’re still able to apply for the fund.
- Western Innovation (WINN) Initiative: $21M Supports Alberta Businesses
- Western Innovation Initiative (WINN) Awards $3.5M in Small Business Loans
- Western Innovation Initiative: Product Development Funding
- $425k in Canadian Government Funding Supports AgriTech Development
- $3.5M Western Innovation Initiative Business Funding Awarded to Vitalus