Receive up to $50,000 in Exporting Grants.
The CanExport SMEs funding program provides Canadian government grants to support Canadian businesses seeking to develop new export opportunities and markets, particularly high-growth priority markets and sectors, by covering a portion of eligible sales and marketing activities.
Amount of Funding
Successful applicants may receive the following:
- Up to 50% funding to a maximum $50,000 grant per project;
- Applicants may receive up to 50% of eligible costs for up to $10,000 to $50,000 in grant funding per project;
- The applicant is responsible for the remaining 50% of costs;
- The annual CanExport contribution maximum is $99,999 (in the event of multiple projects approved in the same government fiscal year);
- A group of related companies cannot receive >$200,000 in funding in a single fiscal year. Projects budgets should be between $20,000-100,000; and
- Applicants can apply for funding multiple times as long as their prior CanExport application has been completed all reporting is finished.
To be eligible for the CanExport program, Canadian businesses must:
- Maintain 1 to <500 full-time employees;
- Earn annual revenues ranging from $100,000 to $100,000,000;
- Be federally incorporated federally or classified as a limited liability partnership (LLP);
- Create eligible project expenses of $20,000 or more; and
- Be financially stable and able to pay all project expenses not covered by the program.
UPDATE: Travel restrictions have been partially lifted for activities that require physical presence in foreign countries. Activities will only be considered eligible if they take place after April 1st. Please see Government of Canada’s Travel Advisories for the most recent information.
To access CanExport funding for upcoming international expansion initiatives, ensure the project revolves around:
- Attending Virtual Trade Shows: Event fees and other associated networking functions;
- Adaptation of Marketing Tools and SEO: Third-party design, translation, and printing of marketing collateral;
- Applying for IP/Product Certifications: Intellectual property, certification, and adaptation of contracts;
- Gathering Market Research: Third-party market research and custom studies or reports; and
- Expert Advice: Third-party advice on digital and e-commerce marketing, intellectual property, trademarks, patents, certifications, consulting services, and sales agents.
Projects Ineligible for CanExport SMEs Export Marketing Grants
Alternately, some of the project activities not eligible to receive CanExport small business grants include:
- Activities in a foreign country where more than 10% or $100,000 of total sales has been generated in the last 24 months;
- Ongoing or operational activities not associated with market expansion;
- Language training and other educational services; and
- Promoting Canadian investment or seeking economic immigrants.
This program is currently open for projects starting on or after April 1st, 2023.