Receive up to $15,000 in Grant Funding.
Mitacs Accelerate pairs businesses with Masters, PhD, and PDF interns to overcome innovation challenges. Interns complete research and develop tools, models, technology, or solutions to support the host business’ challenges.
To learn more about other programs offered by the Mitacs organization, visit the Mitacs home page.
Amount of Funding
Applicants may receive funds from Mitacs of up to $15,00 if the business contributes a minimum of $7,500 per 4-6 month internship unit. Cluster stream is available for additional funding support if the business leverages 6+ internship periods from 3+ interns. Funding includes intern stipend and research costs.
Eligibility for the Mitacs Accelerate program varies depending on role.
Eligible businesses partners meet the following criteria:
- Are a Canadian for-profit businesses, not-for-profit organizations, municipalities, or hospitals;
- For-profit corporations operating outside Canada;
- Not-for-profit organizations, hospitals, and municipalities must be assessed prior to proposal submission; and
- All sectors are permitted to apply.
Eligible students and postdoctoral fellows meet the following criteria:
- Spend approximately 50% of the internship with the academic institution and 50% with the partner organization;
- Read and follow the Accelerate Code of Conduct; and
- Submit a final report and exit survey covering project results.
Eligible professors meet the following criteria:
- Supervise collaborative academic research;
- Oversee the allotment of the Mitacs grant according to approved budget (Canadian university faculty only); and
- Acknowledge and sign the final report for submission, as well as perform an exit survey which summarizes project results.
Internship costs for research and developing tools, models, technology, or solutions to support the host business’ challenges. Projects can last between four months and two years (Masters students) or up to three years for PhDs and Post Doctoral Fellows. Companies retain the same grad student for the project’s duration.
Mitacs Accelerate accepts a continuous intake of applications.