Canadian business owners in the agriculture industry are a key driver of the country’s economy. As Canada continues to transition to cleaner and more sustainable practices and technology, it’s important for the agri-sector to join in these contributions. Clean technology allows agricultural producers and processors to undertake resourceful uses of energy and the production of renewable energy, while protecting the water, soil, and air. Supporting these initiatives is the Agricultural Clean Technology (ACT) Program. The ACT program was part of the Government of Canada’s suite of clean technology programs announced in Budget 2017 and will be running until 2021.
Via the Agricultural Clean Technology Program, successful applicants may receive up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $5,000,000 in farm grants.
The program is open and accepting applications for projects that can be completed by March 31, 2021. Projects valid to receive Canadian government funding are to generate a wide range of positive impacts, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and promote sustainable and clean growth.
About the Agricultural Clean Technology Program
The Agricultural Clean Technology (ACT) Program is a $25-million, three-year investment (2018 – 2021) which aims to support research, development, and adoption of clean technologies through investments in, and promotion of, precision agriculture and agri-based bioproducts.
The ACT program covers up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $5M in agriculture grants to help move the sector towards more eco-friendly and sustainable practices.
This program will contribute to Canada’s stance as a leader in agricultural clean technology by helping farmers develop new and innovative ways to protect the environment and mitigate climate change.
Eligible Applicants: Agricultural Clean Technology Program
Eligible applicants for Canadian government funding under the Agricultural Clean Technology Program include:
- Provincial and territorial governments in Canada;
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations that are incorporated in Canada. They may include:
- businesses and/or corporations;
- Indigenous groups; and
- academic institutions.
Eligible Projects: Agricultural Clean Technology Program
Projects eligible for agriculture grants are to be clean technology projects that invest in and/or promote precision agriculture and agri-based bioproducts that benefit the sector. This includes:
- Developing clean technologies;
- Piloting and evaluating clean technologies;
- Commercializing clean technologies;
- Basic and applied research, including public-private collaboration;
- Accelerating adoption of on-farm clean technologies;
- Demonstration and knowledge and technology translation/transfer activities; and
- Sectoral awareness and communication-building activities that promote clean technologies.
Eligible Expenses: Agricultural Clean Technology Program
Expenses eligible via the Agricultural Clean Technology Program are as follows:
- Capital Equipment (including hardware, software, and equipment purchases/leases);
- Building Retrofit Projects;
- Contractor and Consulting Fees;
- Installation and Commissioning;
- Rental and Facility Lease;
- Labour (Provincial and Municipal Employees are ineligible); and
- Other: Legal, Audit, Insurance, Admin, etc.
Apply for the Agricultural Clean Technology Program
Applications for Agricultural Clean Technology farm grants are currently being accepted. Interested applicants can apply at any time during the life of the program – but note that projects must be completed by March 31, 2021.
To learn more about the program and discuss if your upcoming project is positioned to succeed, please contact Mentor Works. We can also help optimize the application and reporting process.