Up to $3M via the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program
The Government of Canada has heightened the importance of decreasing its national greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within the transportation sector – and is seeking an increased adoption of zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) to help Canada transition to a low-carbon economy. To address these initiatives, there are a multitude of government funding programs available for businesses to help offset the costs of their strategic cleantech projects that will make the country a more environmentally friendly and safer place for residents. The Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration (EVID) Program is one of these programs, which supports demonstrations of next-generation and innovative electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure.
Successful applicants of the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program may receive up to 50% of the total project costs to a maximum of $3,000,000 in funding for cleantech projects.
The EVID Program has an upcoming application deadline of October 18, 2019 and projects must be ready to start by April 1, 2020. Projects should address technical and non-technical barriers to the installation, management, and operation of EV charging technologies.
About the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program
Administered by Natural Resources Canada, the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration (EVID) Program is designed to accelerate the next generation of clean energy infrastructure and bring them to market for consumers.
EVID covers up to 50% of eligible project expenses and offers $250k – $3M in funding for EV charging infrastructure.
To support a goal of an increased number of zero-emission vehicles, the program supports demonstration projects of innovative EV charging and H2 refueling technologies. Zero-emission vehicles are defined as battery EVs, plug-in hybrid EVs, and H2 fuel cell vehicles.
Eligible Applicants: EVID Cleantech Funding
To be eligible for the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program, applicants are to be a privately-held legal entity incorporated in Canada, including:
- Industry associations;
- Aboriginal and community groups;
- Canadian academic institutions;
- Research associations; or
- Provincial/municipal governments.
Project Eligibility: EVID Funding for EV Charging Infrastructure
The Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program is requesting demonstration projects that address both technical and non-technical barriers to the installation, operation, and management of EV charging and H2 refueling infrastructure. Projects must be ready to start by April 1, 2020.
Technologies must have a technology readiness level (TRL) of at least 5 at the beginning of the project and achieve a TRL of at least 8 by the end. Eligible activities include:
- Permanent modification of existing processes, equipment, or systems to accommodate an innovative technology or process that is directly related to the demonstration;
- Permanent installation of pre-commercial technology with the intent that it continues to operate in its intended operational environment for a minimum of five years; and
- Permanent installation of equipment and/or infrastructure that supports and is directly related to the demonstration.
Mandatory Outcomes of EVID Funded Projects
Projects that receive funding for cleantech via the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program are expected to result in at least one of the following outcomes:
- Improved performance of H2 refueling systems for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles;
- Improved performance of charging stations (e.g. efficiency and charging speed);
- Improved interoperability;
- Improved operational safety of charging and hydrogen refueling stations;
- Improved cold climate related charging efficiency;
- Reduced cost of EV charging or H2 refueling stations;
- Improved reliability and performance of H2 refueling systems in cold climates; and
- Increased knowledge of non-technical barriers and innovative approaches leading to improved business cases.
Apply: Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program
The Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Demonstration Program is open and accepting applications. The application deadline for EVID is October 18, 2019.
To learn more about the program and discuss if your upcoming project is positioned to succeed, please contact Mentor Works. We can also help optimize the application and reporting process.