Fifth-generation (5G) networks have the power to generate an ecosystem of connected devices, collecting massive amounts of data that will change the way Canadians live and work. With potential speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second, extremely low latencies of milliseconds, and increased network capacity, 5G will be critical to distributing a whole new generation of products and services to the marketplace – connected and autonomous vehicles, virtual/augmented reality, smart cities, remote healthcare, and new Internet of Things (IoT) applications. To further develop, integrate, test, or validate pre-commercial 5G technologies, the ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program (5G SDP) supports collaborative 5G technology development projects with government funding.
Successful applicants of the ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program may receive up to $50,000-$500,000 in government grants.
The ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program (5G SDP) partners Ontario-based small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms on 5G technology development projects. Areas of technology interest are defined in Challenge Statements submitted to OCE by the ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms and posted to the OCE website on a rolling basis. Expressions of interest must be developed in direct response to a posted Challenge Statement.
About the ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program
The ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program offers Ontario SMEs government funding to offset the costs of 5G technology development projects. Interested businesses are to partner with larger “anchor firms” to collaboratively address pre-commercial technology R&D projects using the ENCQOR 5G Innovation Platform as a Service (iPaaS) testbed. The Anchor Firms (Ciena Canada, Ericsson Canada, Thales Canada) are associated with each Challenge Statement listed.
Awarded funding is based on the Challenge Statement and ranges from $50k-$500k.
Open Challenge Statements for the SME Technology Development Program include:
- Indoor 5G/NR mmW Antennas – Deadline September 13, 2019
- Enhanced IP VPN Networking Adapted to 5G – Deadline September 24, 2019
Applicant Eligibility: ENCQOR 5G SME Tech Development Program
Interested applicants for the ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program should fall under the following eligibility criteria:
- For-profit SME with Ontario operations with fewer than 500 employees;
- Has a validated, pre-commercial technology (product or service) that requires development, integration, testing, or validation;
- Be willing to provide project and outcomes metrics; and
- Have an arms-length relationship with, be willing to execute a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with, and be willing to undergo the procurement process with the Anchor Firm project partner.
Additional eligibility criteria may be enforced based on some Challenge Statements.
Partner Eligibility: ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program
Eligible partners for applicants to collaborate with on 5G technology development projects should fall under the following criteria:
- Must be one of the Ontario ENCQOR 5G Anchor Firms (Ericsson Canada, Ciena, or Thales Canada) as identified in a posted Challenge Statement; and
- Partner must use the results of the project for the environmental, economic, or social benefit of Ontario.
Project Eligibility: ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program
Projects must be between 12-24 months in duration and are typically available for four weeks. 5G technologies eligible for Ontario government funding include:
- Be developed in response to a posted Challenge Statement;
- Drive the development, integration, testing, or validation of pre-commercial technologies with a technology readiness level (TRL) of 1-7;
- Display potential for the applicant and ENCQOR Anchor Firm’s commercial impact;
- Use the ENCQOR 5G Innovation Platform as a Service (iPaaS) testbed; and
- Show economic benefit for Ontario, including the creation of high-quality jobs and additional business investment.
- Operating costs to achieve milestones
- Salaries and benefits for project-focused staff and contractors
- Capital costs are not eligible
Apply for the ENCQOR 5G SME Technology Development Program
Challenge statements are posted on a rolling basis and are typically available for four weeks. Upcoming deadlines are: Indoor 5G/NR mmW Antennas – September 13, 2019 and Enhanced IP VPN Networking Adapted to 5G – September 24, 2019.
There is a two-stage application process including an Expression of Interest (EOI) and full application. Applicants must receive project endorsement from an OCE Business Development Manager at least one week from the Challenge deadline to develop an EOI. Selected EOIs are notified within two weeks of the challenge deadline and invited to the full application stage.
If your organization, partnership, and project meet the above eligibility criteria, please contact Mentor Works so we can set up a Funding Discovery Session.