The Interactive Digital Media Fund provides Ontario government grants for businesses that are conceptualizing or producing interactive digital media content. Through two unique streams, the program provides small business funding worth up to 50% of project expenses to plan and produce content. Ontario companies may wish to pursue this opportunity if they are producing interactive digital media content that entertains, informs, or educates its audience.
The Interactive Digital Media Fund is administered by Ontario Creates (formerly OMDC), an agency within Ontario’s Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. Ontario Creates promotes, enhances, and leverages investment and jobs within Ontario’s economy through the creation of original content. Ontario businesses can access the Interactive Digital Media Fund, among many other funding programs provided by Ontario Creates to increase cash flow and enable new projects.
Does your business qualify for the Ontario Interactive Digital Media Fund? Continue reading about the project’s eligibility criteria to find out.
Business Eligibility for the Interactive Digital Media Fund
The Interactive Digital Media Fund is flexible in its eligibility criteria to ensure that most businesses are able to apply for funding. Whether your business is a startup or established company, you may be able to apply for these Ontario government grants.
All Applicants – Financial Qualifications
All applicants of the Interactive Digital Media Fund must meet one of the following conditions:
- A minimum 50% of company expenses in the last 2 fiscal years have come from the production of interactive digital media content projects that would have been eligible for the IDM Fund;
- A minimum 50% of company revenues in the last 2 fiscal years have come from publishing activities and other brand extensions (trade shows, website development, television);
- A minimum 25% of company revenues in the last 2 fiscal years have come from the creation of complete screen-based content products.
Established Digital Media Company Eligibility
To be successful recipients of the IDM Fund, established interactive digital media production and publishing companies must:
- Be Canadian-owned and based in Ontario;
- Be incorporated federally or provincially, or have plans to upon program approval;
- Have at least one owner or full-time employee with a minimum 3 years of experience in the creation or distribution of interactive digital media content; and
- Be in a stable financial situation and have financial documentation to support claims.
New Digital Media Company Eligibility
New digital media companies, those with less than 1 year in operations and no released products, must:
- Be an Ontario owned and operated company;
- Be able to incorporate immediately if application is successful (businesses can be approved but cannot receive funding until incorporated); and
- Have an owner or full-time employee with a minimum 3 years of professional experience in digital publishing or interactive digital media development.
Projects Eligible for the Interactive Digital Media Fund
For projects to be deemed eligible for the Interactive Digital Media Fund, they must meet the following eligibility criteria, including that the content must:
- Support cultural connections;
- Consist of a combination of at least two of text, sound, and images;
- Entertain, inform, or educate;
- Be unique and be released on interactive digital media platforms such as the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, and Sony Playstation Store as the primary Canadian distribution channel;
- Target consumers, groups of consumers, or educational institutions; and
- Be revenue-generating.
Likewise, there are certain project themes that are not well suited for the Interactive Digital Media Fund. These include:
- Content geared toward enterprise users;
- Advertising software or that intended to sell products/services/companies;
- Interpersonal communication platforms;
- Repurposed physical or offline content that is not augmented or enhanced; and
- Are not for the general public and/or are offensive.
Expenses Eligible for IDM Fund Ontario Small Business Funding
Successful recipients of the Ontario Interactive Digital Media Fund will be able to recover up to 50% of the project expenses, including:
- Promotions; and
- Overhead costs.