Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) Ontario government grants program offers up to $12,000 in funding (up to 50% funding) to export ready companies involved in creating products in the interactive digital media field.
OMDC Export Fund: Company Eligibility
There are some key eligibility factors for these businesses. The applicant company must:
- Have a primary business focus of creating screen based content products.
- Have 2+ years of generating revenue from this work at a minimum of 25% of the company’s revenue
- Have expertise in content creation for interactive platforms, networks, or devices such as video games, mobile content, and websites.
Companies Ineligible for Ontario Government Grants through the OMDC Export Fund
Companies that are not eligible for funding from the OMDC Export Fund include those who:
- Work solely in a fee for service business structure
- Principally work in providing services associated with marketing, branding, and design
- Are broadcaster and broadcaster-owned entities
Eligibility Criteria for Company Representatives of Qualified Company
Company representatives must also meet several eligibility requirements. These include:
- Being a full-time employee of the business
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Live in Ontario
Contractors and consultants cannot be included in the eligible expenses.
OMDC Export Fund Ontario Business Grants: Eligible Activities
Eligible activities for the OMDC Export Fund include international sales trips, trade shows, booth and booth space rental, marketing materials and travel costs for up to 3 senior level company employees. To be eligible for the funding from this program, the business must be a Canadian owned and operated business located in Ontario. The funding is available to corporations, film and television producers, music companies, and book publishers who are involved in creating screen content based products.
OMDC Export Fund Government Small Business Grants: Eligible Expenses
The costs that are eligible for reimbursement from this government funding program include:
- Market Costs: Including registration and booth/exhibitor expenses.
- Travel Costs: Economy flights booked minimum of 30 days in advance. Moderate hotel costs and up to $75 per diem.
- Marketing Materials: Including design, production and shipping material specifically created for the proposed activities. Acceptable marketing materials include activity-specific printed catalogues, event program advertisements, post cards, flyers/one sheets, product samples and demos. Marketing materials funding is capped at 20% of eligible expenses/event.
OMDC Export Fund Government Small Business Grants: Ineligible Expenses
There are costs that are not eligible for reimbursement under the OMDC Export Fund. The costs include:
- Hospitality and entertainment costs
- Core business costs such as design and printing of business cards and standard catalogs
- Communications costs such as faxing, mobile phone rental and fees, long distance fees, etc.
Learn More about the OMDC Export Fund
If your company is interested in finding out more about this government funding program, please contact a Canadian government funding expert at Mentor Works ahead of the approaching May 26, 2014 deadline, or check out some additional opportunities for creators of digital media.