Integrated Work Experience Strategy (IWES) Program is a training and skills development program for unemployed or underemployed internationally educated ICT professionals. The program is funded by the Government of Ontario and considered a part of the Canadian Government Funding for Recognizing Foreign Credentials. The IWES program supports businesses interested in recruiting and hiring these pre-screened, trained, and qualified ICT professionals and provide them with meaningful and valuable work experience.
Integrated Work Experience Strategy (IWES) Details
IWES is a new pilot initiative bridging the gaps for internationally educated ICT professionals looking to land a position in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Sector. The program is offered by the Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC) also known for their Canadian Government Grants for Hiring ICT Grads, and involves a 4-week training program plus guided support for a workplace practicum that will assist participants in the development of practical workplace skills. By the end of the course, participants should have the skills and knowledge to:
- Better integrate and adapt to Canadian ICT workplace culture.
- Identify personal strengths and areas of improvement for better integration into the Canadian labour market.
- Negotiate, present, and communicate in a professional ICT setting.
- Have a better sense and understanding of their intended career path.
- Improve their self-esteem and confidence in a workplace setting.
Once the participants have successfully completed the 4-week training course, candidates will receive the option of participating in a guided work experience (work practicum) where partnering businesses will assign ICT related tasks and assignments to be completed in a real workplace setting.
Businesses Interested in Hiring an IWES Participant
Employers looking to participate in the IWES program have the option of participating in a workplace practicum or immediately hiring a candidate as a full-time staff member. Those interested in immediately hiring an IWES participant will receive an opportunity to review the resumes and conduct interviews with pre-screened and highly qualified candidates. Others who are interested in participating in the workplace practicum must agree to the following terms and conditions:
Practicum Terms & Conditions
- Practicum may be paid, or allowances may be provided, these terms are to be discussed with an IWES representative.
- Participants must work at least 20 hours/week to a max of 35 hours/week.
- IWES staff will provide the employer with support for the on-site training as required
- Practicum must be at least 12 weeks in length
- Minimal supervision is required from employers beyond that which is normally given to new employees.
- Employers must submit an IWES participant evaluations regarding the candidates progress and performance during the practicum
The application deadline for the next IWES session in Toronto is January 21, 2013. For additional program or participant information, please get into contact an IWES Representative.
Additional Programs and Government Grants for Hiring New Staff
Those interested in learning about the additional Canadian Government Funding programs and grants for hiring new talent can start by checking out the Business Funding Grants for Human Resource Development and Training. Interested businesses can receive additional funding details and information by contacting one of our Canadian Government Funding Experts or by subscribing to our Weekly Canadian Government Funding E-Newsletter.