Across Canada, businesses and consumers are pushing for a greener economy by striving to improve the operations, businesses practices, and facilities of companies for a cleaner future. These ambitions are a reflection of Canada’s goal to achieve Net-Zero Emissions by 2050, an initiative laid out by the Canadian government to address climate challenges in both the near term and long term.
“Achieving net-zero emissions means our economy either emits no greenhouse gas emissions or offsets its emissions, for example, through actions such as tree planting or employing technologies that can capture carbon before it is released into the air. This is essential to keeping the world safe and livable for our kids and grandkids.”Government of Canada
Many provinces, such as Manitoba, have begun to act on these ambitions by providing government funding opportunities and incentives to businesses that promote transitioning to cleaner facilities, producing greener products, and keeping an eye on energy consumption. Manitoba businesses, therefore, are eligible to apply to province-specific energy grants like the Efficiency Manitoba Innovation Fund (EMIF).
The EMIF is a program that allocates support to organizations that are producing innovative technologies and strategies for more energy efficient solutions via two streams: the Technology Demonstration Streamand theMarket Capacity Stream.
Efficiency Manitoba Innovation Fund Criteria
The Efficiency Manitoba Innovation Fund offers significant opportunities to businesses that fall under the proper program requirements.
Amount of Funding
Applicants to the EMIF program may be awarded 75% of eligible project costs to a maximum of $250,000 per project.
The following criteria must be met by applicants:
- Sectors to be considered include residential, Indigenous, commercial, industrial and agricultural;
- Located in Manitoba or registered as a legal entity in the province;
- Organizations must be corporations, non-profits, or community groups, including municipalities and indigenous groups;
- There must be savings in electricity and natural gas that can be replicated at other Manitoba sites; and
- In Manitoba, at least one aspect of the technology must not yet be proven, such as the energy efficiency, reliability, cost effectiveness, or applicability.
There are two project streams in Manitoba focused on promoting new energy efficiency opportunities:
Technology Demonstration Stream
Primarily targeting developers and manufacturers for the evaluation of new technologies, including:
- Concept project demonstrations;
- Tests conducted in the field; and
- Pilot projects involving small-scale technologies.
Market Capacity Stream
Aimed at improving understanding of Energy-efficient technologies to reduce market barriers through:
- Peer learning networks and communities of practice;
- A capacity-building program;
- Programmes of training;
- Studying and implementing go-to-market strategies; and
- Pilot programs.
Efficiency Manitoba Innovation Fund streams have a two-stage application process:
- EOI Deadline: November 4, 2022
- Full Application: December 9, 2022
Projects must be completed within 36 months of signing a funding agreement.
Government Funding Opportunities for Manitoba Businesses
There are other government funding opportunities and Manitoba energy grants available for businesses within the province. To review a comprehensive list of the top government funding opportunities available to companies located in Western Canada, like the Strategic Innovation Fund, please visit our Western Canada Funding Directory now.
Through optimized processes and resources, Mentor Works streamlines the government funding process for our clients. Each stage of the funding process is handled by a team of experienced grant writers to maximize success.