The Canada Media Fund is a not-for-profit organization that distributes funding for innovative digital media content and software. The Experimental Stream – Innovation Program supports the prototyping, production and promotion of innovative, interactive content intended for use in Canadian media industry or for public use by Canadians.
- Amount: Up to 50-75% of project costs to maximum of $250k-$1M. Funding is dependent on stream: Prototyping (75%/$250k), Production (75%/$1M), Marketing & Promotion (75%/$400k). Up to $1.2 million possible if prototyping projects lead to production.
- Timeline: Program launches twice a year; spring and fall submission dates.
- Eligibility: For-profit Canadian companies with projects developed in Canada (minimum of 75%). Must have a letter of intent from a market channel partner committing to take the project to market and actively promote the project if applicant does not host the digital media on their own internal network/infrastructure.
- Projects: Innovative interactive projects in Web 2.0 or higher, software apps, mobile apps, virtual reality & video games.
Top Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream – Innovation Program Resources:
- Canada Media Fund Overview Blog: A summary of the Canada Media Fund including funding details, and applicant and project eligibility.
- Canada Media Fund Eligibility Blog: Learn more about how to qualify, application deadlines and more.
- Canada Media Fund Deadline Blog: Deadlines have been announced for Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream – Innovation Program. Discover when your business should apply for CMF this year.
- Canada Media Fund Awards $9.5M to Interactive Digital Media Projects
- Canada Media Fund: Does Your Project Qualify for Software Grants?
- Canada Media Fund Experimental: CMF Funding for Software Projects
- Budget 2018 Streamlines Funding Programs for Business Innovation
- Canada Media Fund’s Innovation Program Awards ~$6.2M in Funding
Posted: February 13, 2014 by Ryan Weaver. Updated: April 26, 2018 by Jeff Shepherd