The Canada Media Fund is a non-profit organization that distributes funding for innovative digital media content and software. The Experimental Stream supports the conceptualization, prototyping, production and promotion (innovation) of interactive content intended for use in Canadian media industry or for public use by Canadians.
- Amount: Up to 50-75% of project costs to maximum $1.5M. Funding is dependent on stream: Conceptualization (75%/$15k), Prototyping (75%/$250k), Innovation (75%/$1.5M). Maximum amount a single project can access across all funding streams is $1.5 million.
- Timeline: Program streams offer spring and fall submission deadlines; specific dates vary depending on the project focus.
- Eligibility: For-profit Canadian companies with projects developed in Canada (minimum of 75%). Must have a letter of intent from a market channel partner committing to take the project to market and actively promote the project if applicant does not host the digital media on their own internal network/infrastructure.
- Projects: Innovative interactive projects in Web 2.0 or higher, software apps, mobile apps, virtual reality & video games.
Top Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream – Innovation Program Resources:
- Canada Media Fund Overview Blog: A summary of the Canada Media Fund including funding details, and applicant and project eligibility.
- Canada Media Fund Eligibility Blog: Learn more about how to qualify, application deadlines and more.
- Canada Media Fund Deadline Blog: Deadlines have been announced for Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream. Discover when your business should apply for CMF this year.
- Canada Media Fund: Experimental Stream Guideline Enhancements
- Canada Media Fund Awards $6M for Innovative Digital Media Projects
- Canada Media Fund Awards $9.5M to Interactive Digital Media Projects
- Canada Media Fund: Does Your Project Qualify for Software Grants?
- Canada Media Fund Experimental: CMF Funding for Software Projects
Posted: February 13, 2014. Updated: April 16, 2019.