As administered by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), the Innovative Solutions Canada program supports businesses researching and developing novel products and services that solve federal government departmental challenges.
- Amount: Phase 1: Grants up to $150k; Phase 2: Grants up to $1M; Phase 3: Government procurement contracts with no fixed maximum.
- Timeline: Ongoing departmental innovation challenges each with a unique application deadline. Phase 1 projects may last up to 6 months while Phase 2 projects may span up to two years in length.
- Eligibility: For-profit, privately held Canadian businesses with fewer than 499 FTE employees.
- Project Types: Proof of concept and prototype development projects to solve federal government departmental innovation challenges. Specific projects depend on challenges currently open for application.
- Current Challenges: Audio Quality Enhancements for Remote Interpretation Service; Detection System for Wireless Communication; Efficient Soil Sampling Techniques; Enhancing Pedestrian and Cyclist Road Safety; Life Sign Monitoring System (LSMS); Improving the Internet Connectivity of Users in Remote Locations; Kinetic Energy Harvesting on Marine Vessels; Preventing Contraband Delivery via Air and Ground; Scaling Down Precision Agriculture; Plastics Challenge (Multiple Streams). Explore all current challenges.
Top Innovative Solutions Canada Resources
- Innovative Solutions Canada Overview: Learn more about the program, including how it works, participating government departments, eligibility factors, and how to get started.
- Current ISC Innovation Challenges: Explore current innovation challenges where Canada’s federal government seeks technology-based solutions.
- Innovative Solutions Canada: New R&D Challenges Announced
- Innovative Solutions Canada: Grants and Contracts for Technology
Posted: December 19, 2017. Updated: October 29, 2018.