Interactive Digital Media Fund Deadline: October 11, 2016
Update: Please access this article for current intakes of the Interactive Digital Media Fund.
Digital technologies are transforming the way that people live, work, and consume information. To help media production companies keep up with the shift towards interactive, digital content, government grants are available to offset some of the costs associated with product definition and development.
Ontario Media Development Corporation’s (OMDC) Interactive Digital Media Fund (IDMF) grants support up to 50% of expenses for digital media Concept Definition and Production projects. Projects may be awarded up to $50,000 or $250,000 in Ontario government grants.
The final deadline to apply for the Interactive Digital Media Fund this year is October 11, 2016. Ontario-based businesses must submit their applications prior to that date or will need to wait for the first intake date of 2017.
Interactive Digital Media Fund: Streams of Ontario Government Grants
Two funding streams comprise the Interactive Digital Media Fund. IDMF will support (1) Concept Definition projects, and (2) Production projects.
Concept Definition Projects
- Funding Contribution: Up to 50% of expenses to a maximum $50,000 awarded. Businesses must request at least $10,000, requiring a minimum project spend of at least $20,000.
- Suitable Projects: Prototype creation, preparing pre-production documents and concept pitches, and business planning.
- Funding Contribution: Up to 50% of expenses to a maximum $250,000. Businesses must request at least $25,000, requiring a minimum project spend of at least $50,000.
- Suitable Projects: Creating market-ready video games, mobile applications, websites, and web series.
Eligibility to Participate in the Interactive Digital Media Fund
All companies applying to the Interactive Digital Media Fund must comply with one of the following financial conditions:
- Minimum 25% of company revenue in the last 2 fiscal years has come from the creation of complete screen-based content products;
- Minimum 50% of company revenue in the last 2 fiscal years has come from publishing activities and other brand extensions (trade shows, website development, television)
- Minimum 50% of company expenses in the last 2 fiscal years has come from the production of interactive digital media content projects that would have been eligible for the IDM Fund.
Please Note: Additional eligibility criteria have been established. For full program eligibility details, please read the Interactive Digital Media Fund (IDMF) Eligibility Criteria blog.
Apply Now for Interactive Digital Media Fund Grants
The first stage of Interactive Digital Media Fund applications are due on October 11, 2016.
Businesses are required to submit applications that can be up to 40 pages or more in length. Applications must include a comprehensive project budget, financing plan, and details of the project being completed.
If your business would like help to determine its eligibility or begin the preparation of applications, please contact Mentor Works. A member of our team will respond within 48 hours to clarify details of the program and proceed with next steps.