CanExport Associations Grant Supports Industry and Trade Associations
CanExport, a funding initiative run by the Canadian government, provides grants and support to Canadian businesses that are developing new export opportunities to global markets. Funding through CanExport is provided through four program streams: CanExport SMEs, CanExport Innovation, CanExport Community Investments, and CanExport Associations.
On November 30, 2021, the CanExport program announced that their CanExport Associations stream is accepting funding applications for the 2022-23 funding round. This stream allocates funds for national industry associations and trade organizations that promote export growth and activity amongst Canadian businesses. The stream is designed to improve Canada’s reach in priority international markets and sectors, by covering a portion of eligible sales and marketing activities that result in a net increase of associations’ global influence.
The CanExport Associations program may provide up to 50% of eligible costs in the form of non-repayable funding to a maximum $250,000 per year. If this program isn’t a good fit for your business, there are more opportunities available through other business expansion programs.
Applicants eligible for CanExport Associations need to be either national industry associations or trade associations. Furthermore, applicants for the CanExport Associations stream are eligible if they also meet the following criteria:
- They are a national industry or trade associations in Canada;
- They are a Canadian national bilateral chambers of commerce or business councils;
- Canadian multi-sectoral organizations;
- Canadian national organizations with under-represented groups in trade;
- Organizations must be:
- Sufficient revenues to cover at least 50% of the project’s costs; and
- Able to provide two years of financial statements.
To learn more about eligibility requirements for this initiative, please refer to the CanExport Associations program page .
Project eligibility for this initiative has changed due to the travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, travel-related expenses may be eligible but local travel advisors and restrictions could affect their eligibility. If you’re unsure, please feel free to talk with a government funding professional to verify your expenses’ eligibility before starting your application. In the interim, the following project eligibility criteria have been given for applicants:
- Non-travel activities:
- Export training through third party organizations;
- Updating IBD strategy and strategy creation for market diversification;
- Gathering market intelligence, such as research and reports;
- Creating, adapting, or translating marketing materials; and
- Attending virtual trade shows, networking functions, and conferences.
- When travel is permitted:
- Foreign market visits;
- Planning and executing trade missions for industry SMEs;
- Preparing for foreign buyer delegations;
- In-person participation at trade shows and other networking events.
Learn more about program criteria by reviewing the CanExport Associations program page.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, approval of funding for travel depends on the status of travel advisories when the application is assessed. However, the following criteria for what makes an eligible expense still stand:
- Eligible non-travel related expenses:
- Market information;
- Consultant fees;
- Professional services;
- Printing, mailing, and shipping fees;
- Renting rooms and equipment for meetings.
- Eligible expenses when travel is permitted:
- Return airfare for economy-class;
- Transportation on ground, such as taxis or rental cars;
- Fees that may be incurred for visas; and
- Fees associated with trade shows and conferences, such as booth construction, the transportation of promotional materials and tools, and hiring an interpreter.
Whether or not expenses for travel-related costs are eligible will depend on the destination country’s travel advisory status, find out if your destination is acceptable through the Canada Travel Advisory webpage. Please, get in touch with a member of the Mentor Works team to confirm if travel expenses may be permitted for your particular application. If this program is not a good fit for your organization there are other programs available, discover more opportunities with our comprehensive government funding directory.
The deadline to apply for the current application intake of the CanExport Associations stream is January 11, 2022. Applicants cannot incur project expenses until approved for funding. Project timelines should take place between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
Exploring Government Funding Opportunities
Exporting is a key step to business growth for many Canadian organizations. To get started with an application for the CanExport Associations program stream, get in touch with a government funding expert today. We also offer industry-leading webinars on a weekly basis to inform businesses of upcoming and current opportunities grant and loan opportunities.
If you are interested in learning more about funding news and updates, check out our news page for daily updates.
Mentor Works truly believes in connecting Canadian businesses with government funding news, resources, and opportunities to foster innovation, productivity improvements, and strong economic growth throughout Canada.