Career Start is a small business grants for hiring program offered through three colleges across Canada:
- Fanshawe College in London, Ontario
- Douglas College in B.C.
- College of the North Atlantic in St.John’s, NFLD.
Canadian Small Business Grants for Hiring Offers a 50% Contribution
The Career Start program offers 50% funding of up to $5,600 for internships that last a minimum of 3 months starting by December 2013, and running until March 31, 2014. The Career Start program is funded by the Federal Government of Canada through Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) as a part of the Youth Employment Strategy (YES Initiatives).
Career Start Canadian Business Grants for Hiring -Purpose
The Career Start program offers eligible employers assistance through the form of a wage subsidy to offset the training costs associated with hiring a recent graduate, while giving young people an opportunity to transition from post-secondary education into high demand occupations. Recent graduates have a great deal to offer employers: they are often tech savvy, creative, energetic, and possess a deep understanding of the current “Global” Marketplace.
Canadian Government Grants -Employer Eligibility
In order to qualify for hiring grants from the Canadian government employers must fit the following criteria:
- Be in the private sector
- Have a vacant, full time position to be filled
- Would consider hiring the ‘successful’ participant
- Pay at least 50% of the wage for a minimum period of 3 months with a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Offer one of numerous “high-demand” jobs as defined by the funder
Career Start Government Small Business Grants –Example Positions
The list of high demand positions vary depending on the location of the employer but include some of the following high demand areas:
- Mining and Mining Services
- Rubber, Plastics, and Chemicals
- Fabricated Metal
- Computer, Electronic and Electrical Products
- Wholesale and Resale Trade
- Professional and Professional Business Services
- Health, and more.
Contact a Canadian government funding expert to learn whether the position you would like to hire is included within this program.
Canadian Small Business Government Grants –Employee Eligibility
To qualify for this small business grants Canada hiring program participating employees must:
- Be graduates of a Canadian educational institution (college or university),
- Take on a full time position of a minimum of 35 hours per week,
- Be between the age of 15 and 30,
- Be a permanent Canadian resident/citizen,
Career Start Government Small Business Grants –Additional Details
In addition to the eligibility criteria noted above, please consider the following details concerning this program in order to ascertain whether it is right for your business:
- This program can go retroactive up to 2 weeks,
- Relevant work experience limits apply,
- The position being filled must be deemed a “high demand occupation.”
For more information please contact a Canadian government funding expert.
Learn about More Small Business Government Grants that are Right for Your Business
To keep up with relevant news and updates on Canadian government grants and loans programs for your business please sign up for our Canada small business government grants and loans weekly e-newsletter and follow us on your favorite social media channel, including: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Tumblr.