There are now new opportunities available to Alberta businesses to fund projects that will improve their operational efficiency as well as reduce their carbon footprint.
This Energy Saving for Business (ESB) – Expanded Technologies Pilot Program (ETP) is offered by Emission Reduction Alberta (ERA) and assists small and medium-sized businesses to reduce their emissions and operating costs, grow their businesses, and becoming more competitive by reducing their emissions and operating costs.
For 12 years, ERA has been investing the revenues from the carbon price paid by large final emitters to accelerate the development and adoption of innovative clean technology solutions. Since ERA was established in 2009, they have committed $821 million toward 221 projects worth $6.6 billion that are helping to reduce GHGs, create competitive industries and are leading to new business opportunities in Alberta.Emissions Reduction Alberta Website
In addition to creating new jobs and supporting the economy, the Expanded Technologies Pilot Program contributes to the development of new technologies. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with funding awarded based on meeting the specific criteria outlined in the program Guidelines rather than on a first-come, first-served basis..
Understanding the ESB – Expanded Technologies Pilot Program (ETP)
Amount of Funding
A maximum of 50% of eligible expenses will be reimbursed for each project, with a project maximum of $250,000 and a maximum for a parent company of $1 million per project.
Collaboration between organizations is encouraged. There may be any combination of the following lead applicants and their project partners:
- A technology developer (someone who works in the field of technology);
- A company that provides products and services (such as equipment installers, engineering firms, and commercial energy auditors);
- Facility owners; and
- Facility operators, etc.
Applicants must be engaged in a pilot program that evaluates innovative commercial technology systems, which must, at a minimum, meet the following criteria to be eligible for this program:
- Installations, retrofits, or upgrades to equipment that result in a reduction in the release of greenhouse gases;
- A complete system can be made up of a single technology or composed of multiple types of technology;
- GHG emissions are reduced over the project lifecycle at a rate that is at or below $200 of the total requested ERA funding per tonne of CO2e reduced over the course of the project;
- The project as a whole must have a positive Return on Investment (ROI) overall; and
- The Technology System(s) is commercialized, i.e. the product has been successfully deployed in operational settings, is available for purchase by anyone, can be manufactured widely, and has achieved TRL level 9+.
The deadline for submitting Expressions of Interest (EOI) is May 1, 2023. Applicants are required to submit their full applications by June 15, 2023 . The proposed project must be completed by September 30, 2023.
Leveraging Government Funding Programs for Strategic Growth
Government funding programs present significant opportunities for businesses operating out of Alberta or elsewhere Canada. However, successfully applying for these grants, loans, and tax incentives can be difficult for businesses due to the complex and dynamic nature of the government funding landscape. To get started, learn to build a funding plan so that your business is prepared to leverage programs as they become available.
Make sure you sign up for our newsletter to receive free weekly updates on the top funding news, resources, and events, to position your business for a successful future.