Export Market Access – FAQs on Eligible Projects
Please Note: Export Market Access is now closed and not accepting further applications. For trade show grants and other forms of export support, learn more about the CanExport program.
Through FEDDEV Ontario, SMEs are able to improve their position in accessing new markets to China and Hong Kong, India and the US marketplace. The EMA program will provide funding up to 50% of a project’s eligible costs to a maximum of $50,000 per project.
From my research, the most popular activities include:
- Booth Rental
- Related Exhibition costs – basically anything that you have to rent for the trade show (internet service, large screen TVs, lights, rugs, equipment, etc). Please note that EMA prefers expenses that are “rented” for accessing new markets compared to things that are purchased as capital assets….so always move towards renting instead.
- Pre-show mail-outs – marketing brochures or booth teasers, etc – excluded are product brochures. EMA will NOT pay for postage or delivery costs just for the marketing materials.
- Return airfare economy class for two reps
- You can submit a budget of travel expenses of $250/day of which they will only support $125/day total
- On-site meetings can be included as follow-up activities but only with clients that are “invoice able” (i.e. no sales agents or dealers)
- Product testing for non-Canadian standards agencies for market certification
- Local transportation costs (renting cars or taxi fares)
- Developing display panels or information booths
- Market materials – postcards, testimonials sheets, etc to be handed out at the booth where you may encourage prospects to enter a draw on website, so that you can collect contact information.
- Other promotional collaterals have a max $500 contribution level by EMA (i.e. like pencils, coasters, CD Cases etc with your company name identified on them)
- Banner to be used specifically at the trade show(s)
- Logistics costs to transport materials, etc to show
- Video creation from film to production – not scripting, just marketing creation costs. What is nice about this one is that you could have a large screen display at booth showing video(s) of company background and product strengths.
- Market research – examine competitive activity or distribution channels, buying attitudes or trends, growth rates, etc. Capped at $5000
- All training expenses
- Hospitality suites
- No retail pop or pos displays
- No electronic mailing costs – (i.e. software programs like Constant Contact or aWeber is not supported)
- All taxes
- Meals and entertainment with clients
Regardless – we can only pick two Regions in one application. And preference to regions where sales % is the lowest is recommended.