Government Incentives for Hiring & Training Skilled Workers
Skilled trades are irrefutably important to the success and functionality of the multiple Canadian business sectors. Thus, the Canadian Government offers a significant amount of funding to hire and train apprentices in a recognized Ontario trade.
Ontario Government Funding Benefits for Employers
Employers who have been certified to train an apprentice in a specific trade are able to hire and train an enthusiastic and skilled individual while receiving Canadian Government Funding and tax incentives:
- Apprenticeship Job Creation Tax Credit: Up to $2000 per year for the first 2 years of an apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeship Employer Signing Bonus (AESB): Employers can receive a business funding grant of up to $2000 for registering their business to hire and train apprentices according to Employment Ontarios Job Matching, Placements & Incentives Program.
- Apprenticeship Training Tax Credit: Businesses can receive up to $40K or 35-45% of the apprentices wages and benefits for the first four years of an apprenticeship (10K/year).
Canadian Government Funding Incentives for Apprentices
The Canadian Government is also focusing their funding towards attracting skilled and enthusiastic individuals by providing several Ontario Government funding programs for those who are willing to undertake a skilled apprenticeship:
- Apprenticeship Incentive Grant: A $2000 Canadian government grant for completing level 1 and 2 of the schooling block for a red seal trade.
- Apprenticeship Completion Grant: Another $2000 cash grant for completing the entire apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeship Scholarship: Up to $1000 for those who are required by their employers to undertake additional academic training in order to participate in a specific trade.
- Loans for Tools: Apprentices can receive an $800 interest free loan to purchase the tools required to undertake their apprenticeship.
- Trades Person Tool Deduction: Apprentices and Journeypersons can deduct half of their yearly tool purchases up to $500 per year.
Hiring and Training Skilled Trades People
Employers that are interested in registering and training an apprentice in a recognized skilled trade can take advantage of the various programs and services for hiring skilled trades people in Ontario. One of the most useful services for finding skilled workers is Employment Ontarios Apprentice Search Database.
Businesses interested in receiving additional advice and support towards Canadian government funding to hire apprentices can contact us through our Wage Subsidy Identifier contact form. By giving us information on your upcoming hiring plans, we can give you detailed advice on how to optimize funding claims.
It’s good to have skilled persons working for you and much better if you’re the one who trained him/her.
We own a salon in Toronto. We are looking to hire an apprentice and would greatly appreciate some help from the government program. We have an individual in mind how would we go about applying?
Thank you again for stopping by our blog. I believe the program that would be applicable to you would be the YMCA HD YIP program, see the link here: https://www.mentorworks.ca/blog/government-funding/small-business-grants-ymca-hd-yip/
I also sent you a follow up by email.