How to Qualify: Strategic Aerospace and Defense Initiative (SADI)
The Strategic Aerospace and Defense Initiative (SADI) is a Canadian government funding program that provides repayable contributions for projects that advance the Aerospace and Defence (A&D) industry in Canada. The program has three main objectives:
- To encourage strategic R&D that will result in innovation and excellence in new or improved products, services, and processes.
- To enhance the competitiveness of Canadian A&D companies.
- To foster collaboration between research institutes, universities, colleges, and the private sector.
Companies can apply for funding to cover 40% of eligible costs with typical project sizes ranging from $275,000 to $300M.
Strategic Aerospace and Defense Initiative (SADI): Company Eligibility
To be eligible for this Canadian government funding program, applicants must be for-profit Canadian incorporated businesses. There are specific company eligibility requirements, however applicants must be actively engaging in research and development activities in the A&D industry. Additionally, at least 1% of the total project costs must be allocated to a post-secondary education institution in Canada.
Strategic Aerospace and Defense Initiative (SADI): Project Eligibility
Projects under SADI must be either industrial research or pre-competitive development and can be up to 5 years in length and must meet one of the following four goals:
- Support the development of next generation A&D products, services, or process innovations.
- Build on Canadian strengths in A&D technology development.
- Enable Canadian companies to participate in platforms and supply chains.
- Help Canada meet international obligations, such as the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) initiative or the Defence Development Sharing Agreement (DDSA).
Strategic Aerospace and Defense Initiative (SADI): Eligible Expenses
The following costs are eligible for reimbursement at 40% coverage under SADI:
- Specialized project equipment; and
Other costs may be eligible depending on their relation to the project.
Discover the SADI Initiative
Find out more about the SADI Initiative by selecting from one of the following:
Additional Small Business Loan Support Services
Learn more about small business grants and loans programs that are available to help your business overcome financial obstacles to faster, and safer growth. Connect with Mentor Works small business grants and loans experts today to take advantage of our funding concierge services. And don’t forget to sign up for our weekly government funding e-newsletter.