Looking for government funding to hire a recent graduate in Northern Ontario?
The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) has a new Ontario business grants funding program to support hiring recent graduates in Northern Ontario called the Northern Ontario Internship program.
Northern Ontario Business Grants for Hiring through NOHFC
The Northern Ontario Internship Program offers a wage subsidy as grant funding to eligible companies and candidates.
How much funding is available through NOHFC Ontario business grants?
For a non-profit, the wage subsidy will support a 52-week internship at 90% of the wage to a maximum of $31,500. If your company is a for-profit business, the wage subsidy will support up to 50% of your intern’s wage to a maximum of $31,500 for a 52 week internship.
Is my business eligible for NOHFC business grants Ontario?
Your business can be in the for-profit, not-for-profit or a public institution:
- You have been in operation for at least one year
- You have at least one full-time employee
- Your operation is located in Northern Ontario
- You operate in one of the following priority areas of the NOHFC:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Agriculture, aquaculture and food processing
- Arts, culture and creative industries
- Digital economy
- Forestry and value-added forestry-related industries
- Health sciences
- Minerals sector and mining supply and services
- Renewable energy and services
- Transportation, aviation and aerospace
- Water technologies and services
- Municipalities, first nations, post-secondary education institutions, and research institutions may also apply
Does our candidate qualify for this NOHFC Ontario small business grants program?
When hiring an intern through the Northern Ontario Internship Program, the intern must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:
- A graduate of a college or university program (diploma or degree) within the last 3 years.
- First job in their field of study since graduating.
- One time participation in the program per graduate
- Eligible to work in Canada.
Are there any roles that are not eligible for funding from the Northern Ontario Internship Program?
Retail positions and administrative roles are not eligible for funding from the Northern Ontario Internship Program.
What are the evaluation points for the Northern Ontario Internship Program?
The application will be evaluated on the following aspects:
- Potential that the internship will become a full-time permanent position.
- Quality and type of training offered by the employer
- The quality of the opportunity being provided.
- The work plan and supervisory plan.
Does my company need to hire an intern before applying for NOHFC small business grants Ontario?
No. Once you receive notification that you are going to receive funding your company is responsible for finding the candidate you want to hire.
How does payment/repayment work through government small business grants?
NOHFC will provide 2 reimbursement payments. One will happen at 6 months and one at the end of the internship. You will be required to provide proof of hire and payment to NOHFC.
How do I find out more information about NOHFC Ontario government grants?
To discuss if your upcoming hires and positions will qualify for this Ontario government funding program, please contact Mentor Works‘ team of Government Funding Planners.