Ontario is on a mission to strengthen its position as a world-leading automotive manufacturer, by supporting its vast collection of information and communication technology companies. One of the key technologies emerging within the self-driving industry is high definition mapping for autonomous vehicles. HD maps are extremely high-resolution maps with centimetre-level precision to ensure the highest degree of safety. To support this growth of automotive and transportation technology in Ontario, Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) and Communitech have launched the OpenHDMaps Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) Ventures program.
Via the program, Ontario businesses may receive up to a 1:1.5 contribution toward eligible project expenses to a maximum $50,000 in innovation funding.
The OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures program supports Ontario businesses to advance the commercial readiness of high definition (HD) maps and mapping technologies. To apply for this innovation funding, businesses must submit an application form and mandatory supporting documents through the AVIN Ventures online portal. Applications are accepted through scheduled, defined cohorts. The next cohort has a deadline of July 12, 2019.
What is the OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures Program?
The OpenHDMaps Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) Ventures program supports Ontario-based businesses who use data-driven maps and mapping technologies in the development or enhancement of their products or services. High definition mapping technology can encompass previously inaccessible or limited map layers (e.g. satellite, general “mapped data sets” with a spatial component, 3D building data, aerial, and street imagery). These technologies can support the connected and autonomous vehicle sector and a range of other industries that require advanced mapping technologies like transportation, utilities, internet, media, and logistics.
An applicant contribution of $75,000 is necessary to access the full $50,000 value of the program’s maximum 1:1.5 contribution ratio, leading to a project budget of at least $125,000.
In addition to funding, successful applicants may receive time with technology and business coaches while gaining access to the AVIN Demonstration Zone.
Applicant Eligibility: OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures
To qualify for the OpenHD Maps AVIN Ventures program, applicants must:
- Be an Ontario-based incorporated startup or SME that presently uses or foresees opportunities to use mapping technology and data-driven maps in products/services;
- Support other segments such as internet and media, transportation, infrastructure, logistics, and utilities or be able to directly contribute to the connected and autonomous vehicle sector;
- Have not previously received AVIN Ventures grants; and
- Maintain fewer than 500 employees.
Eligible Projects: OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures
Projects eligible to receive innovation funding through OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures are to be sourcing first customers, developing product(s), and solving actual business needs. Projects are to start September 1, 2019 and be completed by March 31, 2010. Connected and autonomous vehicle projects include:
- Perception and localization technology;
- Sensor and multiple data source fusion for map production;
- Artificial Intelligence for map production;
- Use of HD Maps in C/AV training and simulation;
- Map updating/maintenance and deployment technology;
- C/AV security technology related to HD Map usage; and
- Cloud-based storage and processing.
Other mapping-related projects include:
- Pedestrian navigation;
- Map visualization;
- Map usage that improves accessibility;
- Geospatial analytics; and
- Mapping technology applications for fleet management, utilities/infrastructure, real estate, public transportation, and advertising.
How to Apply for the OpenHDMaps AVIN Ventures Program
Applications for the OpenHDMaps Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) Ventures program are to be submitted through the dedicated online application form.
The application intake will close on July 12, 2019 at 5:00PM EST.
Proposals will be ranked on several factors:
- Impact on the C/AV ecosystem
- Business feasibility
- Innovative application of HD mapping technology or spatial/HD Map data
- Influence on spatial data and HD mapping maturity (firm or ecosystem level)
Mandatory documents include a cash flow statement for the current year, a forecast for the upcoming year, and a proposal for the use of funds and in-kind statements. Approved applicants will be notified by September 1, 2019.
To discuss your business’ eligibility for government funding and discover how to optimize the application process, please contact Mentor Works.