SD Tech Fund grants support the development and commercialization of innovative green technologies (greentech). Administered by Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC), these Canadian government grants provide businesses with up to 33% of eligible project expenses to a maximum $15 million.
Developing green technologies and creating a low-carbon economy is a major component of the federal government’s investment policy. In 2016, the government allocated additional funding to Sustainable Development Technology Canada so that innovative greentech companies could develop and bring the technologies to market.
To learn if your business is eligible for SD Tech Fund government grants, consider the following criteria.
Businesses Eligible for SDTC Tech Fund Grants
Businesses applying for the SD Tech Fund are required to enter a technology development consortium that contains them and at least two other partners. Consortiums may include a wide variety of partners including other businesses, non-profit organizations, academia, industry associations, government entities.
In addition, Canadian businesses applying for SDTC greentech grants must:
- Be developing an innovative green technology;
- Own the proprietary rights to the technology; and
- Be able to enter a legally-binding agreement with consortium partners.
Sustainable Development Technology Canada Tech Fund Greentech Project Eligibility
Greentech development grants may be awarded to businesses who are creating an advanced technology that:
- Have a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of 3-7, signifying that their technology is beyond proof of concept but hasn’t been commercialized yet;
- Will be ready for commercialization within 1-5 years;
- Is disruptive and will displace existing technologies;
- Will result in measurable decreases of greenhouse gas emissions, or contamination within water, soil, or air; and
- Will incur at least $750,000 in project expenses.
Priority Areas: In-Demand Technology Development Projects
SDTC gives priority access to projects that focus on the following five themes:
- Sustainable Natural Resources Development
- Carbon-Free Power Generation and Distribution
- Energy Efficiency for Communities and Industry
- Next-Generation Technologies
- Remote and Northern Community Utility Systems
Project Expenses Eligible for SDTC Technology Development Grants
Projects suitable for SD Tech Fund grants must have a budget totalling $750k to $15M consisting of the following expenses:
- Salaries and third-party contractor costs related to the project;
- Field testing services and feasibility studies;
- Supplies and equipment (including installation, testing, upgrading costs);
- Laboratory and field supplies and materials;
- Travel and conference expenses related to the project;
- Print, production, and translation services, including shipping costs (incl. customs fees);
- Data collection services; and
- Communication and distribution costs.