The Community Economic Development Streams of the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) and the Eastern Ontario Development Fund (EODF) provide support to municipalities and not-for-profit organizations for projects and investments that spur economic development in southwestern and eastern Ontario.
Applicants may be able to access up to 50% of eligible project expenses for a maximum grant of up to $1.5M.
To access SWODF/EDOF funding, organizations must develop a competitive application that includes details around the project’s purpose, budget, timelines, and expected outcomes. There is an upcoming intake of December 2, 2019 – January 20, 2020. Applicants are expected to be notified of decisions by April 16, 2020. This article will cover SWODF and EODF funding for the Community Economic Development Stream. The Business Stream is outlined in a separate blog, which is available to read here.
About Southwestern/Eastern Ontario Development Fund
The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund (SWODF) and the Eastern Ontario Development Fund (EODF) provides support for economic development organizations, municipalities, and consortia that are investing in infrastructure or implementing strategies to advance regional priorities in southwestern and eastern Ontario.
The Community Economic Development Stream supports community economic development projects that lead to business growth, generate broad positive economic impacts, and encourage innovation, collaboration, and cluster development.
Applicants may receive up to 50% of eligible project costs for a maximum of up to $1.5M in grant funding.
Applicant Eligibility: Community Economic Development Stream
- Consortia; or
- Economic Development Organizations (including sector groups).
Eligibility of Regions
To qualify for the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, businesses must operate in one of the following regions:
To qualify for the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, businesses must operate in one of the following regions:
- Kawartha Lakes
- Leeds & Grenville
- Lennox & Addington
- Prescott & Russell
- Prince Edward
- Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry
Projects Eligible for Southwestern/Eastern Ontario Development Fund
The Southwestern Ontario Development Fund and Eastern Ontario Development Fund provide funding to support projects aligned to the following:
- Invest more than $100,000;
- Have private sector support;
- Be led by municipalities, economic development organizations (including sector groups), or consortia;
- Lead to measurable outcomes including private sector investment, growth, and job creation;
- Be used for activities that are incremental (new) to the organization; and
- Focus on economic and business development and job creation in the community or region by investing in infrastructure or implementing strategies to advance regional economic development priorities.
The project duration can last up to four years.
- Business attraction costs;
- Project-related permits, fees, and other similar charges;
- Municipal economic infrastructure that addresses a community priority;
- Skills training;
- Specialized expertise;
- Equipment and machinery required for the project;
- Project facility modifications and/or upgrades required for the project;
- One-time internal labour (project-specific); and
- One-time materials (project-specific).
Apply for Southwestern/Eastern Ontario Development Funding
SWODF and EODF have announced four application periods, so businesses should prepare well in advance of funding intakes to make the most of their upcoming strategic growth projects. The deadlines are as follows:
- Application Period One: December 2, 2019 – January 20, 2020
- Application Period Two: March 5, 2020 – April 20, 2020
- Application Period Three: June 5, 2020 – July 20, 2020
- Application Period Four: September 3, 2020 – October 19, 2020
If you’re evaluating whether SWODF or EODF is a good fit for your organization’s upcoming project, or would like to simplify the application process, please contact Mentor Works.