SD Tech Fund Research and Development Funding
The Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) is known for supporting sustainable initiatives across the country through resources and small business funding grants, such as a program called the SD Tech Fund. This Canadian government funding for research and development program opened earlier this month and helps fill the apparent gap between applied research and product commercialization by helping businesses finance and carry out technology development and demonstration of new clean technologies. They will foster the development and demonstration of technological solutions that address:
- Clean water
- Clean air
- Climate change
- Clean land
This funding for small business covers a portion of costs related to capital items, goods and services, and personnel labor costs, depreciation expenses. This research and development funding program covers one third of expenses related to the development of new clean technologies and energy conservation innovations.
SD Tech Fund: Canadian Business Grants Approval Process
To apply for this funding for small business, there are two phases for applicants and four decision gates:
Phase 1: Statement of Interest (SoI)
The Statement of Interest includes lead organization and project summary, project partners, funding and budget, technology, project activities and intellectual property, market and competition and environmental benefits
Phase 2: Proposals by Invitation
Phase 2 consists of the following 4 gates towards the approval of an application:
- Gate I – SDTC Review: Potential applicants submit the Application for Funding which should substantially address the pre-commercial pilot, technology and process, stage of development, business parameters, engineering and construction, financials, regulatory permitting and approvals, timeline and sustainable development results.
- Gate II – Technical and Business Experts: External technical and business experts will review the proposals and report recommendations to SDTC. SDTC also performs visits to applicant-consortia sites and identifies projects that need time to develop further.
- Gate III – Investment Committee and Project Review Committee: Committee reviews the refined shortlist of projects and present final list of recommendation to SDTC BOD.
- Gate IV – Board Approval: Make their final approved list of proposals.
Eligible projects for these Canadian business grants should involve at least a moderate level of technology risk; otherwise conventional financing should be available. Project activities cannot exceed five years from the effective start date.
Common Statement of Intent Mistakes
The following are common errors made when applying for this Canadian government funding program.
- If the technology has been proven you are ineligible for SD Tech funding
- Research activities are too early for funding
- Insufficient details on technology
- Absolute claims without supporting data
- Lack of supporting performance data
Learn More about this Canadian Government Grant for Clean Technology
Learn more by choosing from one of the following:
Additional Canadian Government Funding Support
The SD Tech Fund is currently open and accepting applications. If you would like support in this application process, I encourage you to contact one of our Canadian Government Funding Experts or following us on Twitter and Facebook.