The Canada Media Fund (CMF) Experimental Stream supports Canadian businesses developing, producing, and marketing innovative interactive digital media content and software applications. The program provides repayable government funded advancements to support innovative media projects that deliver a valuable end-user experience. Software and game developers can receive up to 75% coverage of eligible project costs to a maximum $1,500,000 in repayable funding and/or advances.
CMF’s Experimental Stream accepts applications during scheduled intakes. Upcoming deadlines are January 10, 2020 (Conceptualization); November 14, 2019 (Prototyping); and September 5, 2019 (Innovation).
The application process requires that potential funding recipients develop a competitive proposal reviewing the project, development team, and market opportunity. Applications are collected by CMF and reviewed after a deadline has passed. Media developers should plan their application well in advance of upcoming deadlines to ensure there is enough time to develop and submit a competitive proposal on time.
Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream – Innovation Program: Funding for Digital Projects
The Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream offers three unique repayable/recoupable funding streams to support software developers. Canadian businesses can apply for funding under the following streams to enhance their digital media projects:
- Media Conceptualization: Up to 75% of costs to a maximum $15,000 for initiation and proof-of-concept development. Ideal projects include creating and testing a proof-of-concept and verifying the design idea or concept.
- Media Prototyping: Up to 75% of costs to a maximum $250,000 to demonstrate the design and functionality of media products. Ideal projects include storyboarding, market assessments, writing scripts, creating prototypes, and performing feasibility studies.
- Media Innovation: Up to 75% of costs to a maximum $1,500,000 for media production, development, and promotion. Ideal projects focus on filming, animating, editing, and coding, and strategic marketing activities including creation of marketing campaigns and testing advertising materials.
Business Eligibility Criteria
Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream provides funding for digital media projects to:
- Canadian businesses; and
- Public or private Canadian broadcasters that are licensed by Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications (CRTC).
Please Note: Businesses that maintain at least 40% female representation have a greater chance of receiving CMF funding.
Project Eligibility Criteria
The CMF Experimental Stream provides Canadian government funding to support projects:
- Produced in Canada;
- With a minimum of 50-75% of eligible project expenses paid in Canadian dollars;
- Containing the development or promotion of digital media content and/or application software;
- Demonstrating innovative and interactive subject matter that’s connected to the Canadian cultural sector; and
- Remaining under Canadian ownership throughout the production process.
Successful Projects Funded by the Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream
The Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream has supported a range of innovative software application and digital media projects. Some of the program streams’ recent success stories include:
The Development Stream provides funding and/or advances to carry-out strategic planning of digital media content and conceptualization of new products/applications. CMF funding can be used to support projects such as storyboarding, market assessments, and creating prototypes.
Some recent project examples include:
- Action Heroes: Hibernum Créations Inc. awarded $472,500 to develop a new, competitive multiplayer action game that incorporates 3D features and the ability to battle with up to 5 other users.
- Airships: Radial Games Corp. awarded $243,637 to develop a 50-level virtual reality game that requires users to solve puzzles. The game will be designed for Sony PlayStation 4 gaming consoles.
Related Post: $6.2M Awarded in Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream
The Production Stream provides funding and/or advances to assist with the production of innovative interactive media products and applications. CMF’s contributions can be used to offset the cost of filming, animating, and editing content to accelerate its market readiness.
Some recent project examples include:
- Ace Arena: Cyber Revolution: Spearhead Games awarded $1,000,000 to produce a bilingual multi-player sports game that relies on team synergy and individual skills.
- N.N.E: Gamesbymo Inc. awarded $369,279 to produce a sci-fi game that includes puzzles and critical thinking. The game has been designed for consoles such as Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii U, Windows, and Apple macOS.
- 2Life Marketing: 2 for Life Media Inc. awarded $224,873 to promote its consolidated communication platform where two users can exchange documents, messages, and calendars in a private forum.
- Afterland: Imaginary Games Inc. awarded $280,161 to market a virtual collectible card game that incorporates surreal and expressionistic themes. The mobile game has been designed for iOS and Google Play.
Applying to the Canada Media Fund Experimental Stream Innovation Program
To get started with the CMF Experimental Stream, applicants must submit a comprehensive application package (approximately 25 -35 pages) that includes project budget and timelines. Interested businesses are encouraged to begin preparing project proposals now to ensure they meet the program’s cut-off dates.
Application Intake Deadlines
- Media Conceptualization: January 10, 2020
- Media Prototyping: November 14, 2019
- Media Production, Marketing and Promotion (Innovation): September 5, 2019
To discuss your software or game development project’s fit for funding, and learn how to optimize the government funding process, please contact Mentor Works.