Environmental Careers Organization (ECO) is Canada’s most prominent resource for environment jobs, relevant skills training and certification courses. ECO Canada is a not-for-profit organization that aims to help professionals discover, find and advance their environmental careers.
Eco Canada is now accepting applications for two similar small business grants for hiring programs that it administers.
Canadian Government Grants for Hiring from ECO Canada
The National Environmental Youth Corps (NEYC) and International Environmental Youth Corps (IEYC) Canadian business grants for hiring programs offer a 33% wage subsidy to companies who hire a recent graduate into a position that provides training and experience in an environmental role. How the International Environmental Youth Corps Canadian small business grants program differs is that it is reserved for companies that provide roles that offer some international exposure.
Canadian Business Grants for Hiring Funding Details
Funding for the NEYC government small business grants is provided by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and the maximum amount offered through the program is 33% of the participating employee’s wage to a maximum of $8,000.
IEYC small business government grants are provided through funding from Environment Canada. The IEYC Canadian business grants program also provides a 33% wage subsidy but to a maximum of $12,000.
NEYC & IEYC Small Business Government Grants Organization Eligibility
In order to be eligible for Canadian government grants for small business, employers must be Canadian-owned or a Canadian subsidiary of a multi-national organization. Priority will be given to organizations from the private sector. Not-for-profit organizations and other organizations may also apply.
Companies eligible for NEYC & IEYC small business grants must also:
- Offer a full-time position
- Offer a new position that has a significant environmental component
- Hire a new employee (cannot be an existing employee)
- Have not access another federally funded wage subsidy for the position
- Support the intern’s application to become a Certified Environmental Professional in Training
“This program allowed me to offer someone employment where under normal circumstances I would not have…”
-Integrated Management Solutions Ltd.
Small Business Grants Canada Intern Eligibility
In order to qualify for NEYC & IEYC small business grants Canada, interns must:
- Be 30 years or younger
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- Be a graduate of a post-secondary institution
- Be eligible for full-time employment (not returning to school)
- Be underemployed or unemployed, or working outside of their field of study
- Have not previously participated in a federal youth employment/education program (previous participants of summer employment programs are still eligible),
- Not be a family member of the organization’s directors or senior officers
- Have the intention to obtain a permanent position in the environment industry
- Have the intention to earn a certified Environmental Professional in Training Designation
Find More Canadian Small Business Government Grants & Loans for Your Business
To keep up to date with new Ontario business grants, Canadian small business grants and loans, and more, sign up for our Canadian government funding for small business weekly e-newsletter and follow us on your favorite social media account: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Tumblr.