Business Grants Ontario: Northern Ontario Internship Program FAQs
The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) has recently launched a new funding program to support hiring recent graduates in Northern Ontario. This hiring grant program is called the Northern Ontario Internship program and offers companies up to $31,500 in funding to support the hiring of a recent graduate.
What type of funding is available through the Northern Ontario Internship Program?
The Northern Ontario Internship Program offers a wage subsidy as grant funding to eligible companies and candidates.
How much funding is available through this Small Business Grants for Hiring Program?
If your company is a for-profit business, the wage subsidy will support up to 50% of your intern’s wage to a maximum of $31,500 for a 52 week internship. For not-for-profits, the wage subsidy will support a 52-week internship at 90% of the wage to a maximum of $31,500.
What factors make my company eligible for this government funding program?
Your business can be in the for-profit, not-for-profit and public institutions are eligible if:
- You have been in operation for at least one year
- You have at least one full-time employee
- Your operation is located in Northern Ontario
- You operate in one of the following priority areas of the NOHFC:
- advanced manufacturing
- agriculture, aquaculture and food processing
- arts, culture and creative industries
- digital economy
- forestry and value-added forestry-related industries
- health sciences
- minerals sector and mining supply and services
- renewable energy and services
- transportation, aviation and aerospace
- water technologies and services
- municipalities, First Nations, post-secondary education institutions, and research institutions may also apply
What are the eligibility factors for hiring an intern?
When hiring an intern through the Northern Ontario Internship Program, the intern must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for funding:
- A graduate of a college or university program (diploma or degree) within the last 3 years.
- First job in their field of study since graduating.
- One time participation in the program per graduate
- Eligible to work in Canada.
Are there any roles that are not eligible for funding from the Northern Ontario Internship Program?
Retail positions and administrative roles are not eligible for funding from the Northern Ontario Internship Program.
What are the evaluation points for the Northern Ontario Internship Program?
The application will be evaluated on the following aspects:
- Potential that the internship will become a full-time permanent position.
- Quality and type of training offered by the employer
- The quality of the opportunity being provided.
- The work plan and supervisory plan.
Does my company need to hire an intern before applying?
No. Once you receive notification that you are going to receive funding your company is responsible for finding the candidate you want to hire. This program is for new hires, so please keep your candidate off of payroll until you are accepted for funding.
How does payment/repayment work?
NOHFC will provide 2 reimbursement payments. One will happen at 6 months and one at the end of the internship. You will be required to provide proof of hire and payment to NOHFC.
How do I find out more information?
To find out more information about this internship program and other government funding opportunities for your business, contact an expert at Mentor Works.
Access Additional Small Business Loans and Small Business Grants Ontario
Are you an established business operating in southern Ontario? If your firm has at least 15 employees, has been incorporated for 2 years or more, and manufacture or perform research and development, sign up for a free Canadian government funding workshop. You can also keep up to date with the release of funding and new small business and grants programs by following us on your favourite social media channel: LinkedIn, Twitter, and Tumblr.