Ontario Genomics Institute – Technology Seeding Program for Life Science Developments
The Ontario Genomics Institute (OGI) offers a Technology Seeding program to accelerate innovation into new, leading edge, life science related products and technologies. The program provides funding for small business ventures that look to expand the Ontario science and technology service platforms for life science research in the fields of genomics and proteomics.
Seed Funding for Life Science Research and Technology Development Projects
OGI offers funding through several strategic investment opportunities, each offering up to $10,000 in non-repayable seed funding for research and development projects. The program is designed to accelerate life science research and expand Ontario’s capacity for genomic and proteomic research.
Eligibility Criteria for Canadian Business Grants
In order to be considered eligible, proposed research and technologies must:
- Be unique and not available elsewhere in Ontario;
- Be closely aligned with provincial life science platforms and strategies;
- Provide a competitive edge or price advantage over existing technologies/processes;
- Have the potential to deliver a competitive advantage to the Ontario genomics and life science research community;
If the project is a success, the resultant technology will supplement the existing Ontario life science platform and provided as a service to the Ontario research community.
Canadian Government Grants for Research and Development Activities
Ontario researchers are able to further leverage their research and development expenditures by applying for Ontario Government Grants for Research and Development:
- NSERC Engage: Up to $25K in Government grant funding for a 4-6 month R&D project carried out in collaboration with an established Canadian University.
- IRAP Accelerated Review Process (ARP): Provides up to $50K in non-repayable business grants covering 80% of the direct labour and 50% of the sub-contractors employer for a technical research and development project.
- MITACS Accelerate: Research grant providing up to $7,500 on a matching funds basis to promote SME collaboration with a Canadian university for a 4 month innovative research project.
Established Canadian SMEs interested in learning more about the available Canadian Government Funding for Research and Development can contact our team of Canadian Government Funding Experts or subscribe to our weekly Canadian Government Funding E-Newsletter.