Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund Invests in Ontario Tourism
The Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund (TEDRF) is a government funding program designed to tackle the decline in Ontario’s tourism sector caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic by supporting projects that focus on increasing tourist visitation and visitor spending through the development of innovative tourism products and/or services. TEDRF hopes that eligible projects will help boost Ontario’s employment opportunities and overall economic position within the current tourism sector.
The Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund (TEDRF) provides matched funding to a maximum of 50% of total eligible innovative tourism project expenses.
The TEDRF program heavily focuses on recovery-based tourism projects to increase the overall tourist numbers across Ontario and combat the reduction in travel and vacationing as a result of the global pandemic. TEDRF will provide funding support to Ontario’s for-profit and not-for-profit businesses, as well as Ontario tourism associations, to offset costs attached to innovative projects which will encourage safe activities and travel within the province.
TEDRF Funding: Applicant and Project Eligibility
The Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund (TEDRF) is an application-based, cost-sharing program designed to provide non-capital funding to projects that either:
- encourage the development of innovative new tourism products
- support tourism investment
- build the capacity of Ontario’s tourism industry
TEDRF also supports innovative tourism recovery projects aimed at increasing tourism within Ontario to address the reduction in global travel as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Eligible applicants for TEDRF funding include:
- municipalities and destination marketing organizations (regional tourism organizations are not eligible)
- Indigenous organizations
- Ontario tourism industry associations
- not-for-profit organizations (with a clearly defined tourism focus)
- for-profit tourism organizations
To be eligible for TEDRF funding, a project must meet all the following requirements:
- project must take place in the Province of Ontario
- applicant organization must be a legal entity, incorporated in Canada and in existence for a minimum of one year, as of the date of submission
- applicant must not be in default of the terms and conditions of any grant or loan agreement with any ministry or agency of the Government of Ontario (for example, Ontario Trillium Foundation)
- information provided in the application must be true, correct, and complete (as verified by an authorized official)
Eligible TEDRF funding program expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Costs related to the delivery of membership services and activities provided by Ontario tourism industry associations
- Consulting and project management services
- Contract staff to support the delivery of the project
- Research and tourism sector strategic planning (including tourism marketing strategies)
- Business plan support and economic assessments
- Organizational development and capacity building
- Conference organization costs (including speaker fees)
- Other costs deemed reasonable
Ineligible expenses for the TEDRF program include, but are not limited to:
- Capital costs including materials, labour, land acquisition, or purchase of equipment
- Operating costs for organizations including administration, permanent staff salaries and on-going maintenance costs (COVID-19 recovery projects for tourism industry associations are excluded)
- Marketing implementation costs including advertising, promotion, branding, websites, and apps
- Legal, audit, or interest fees
- Insurance, buyouts, restructuring costs, refundable goods and service tax (including HST)
- Festival and event costs related to programming, operations, and marketing
- Costs related to food, alcohol, or cannabis
The Tourism Economic Development and Recovery Fund (TEDRF) is currently closed.
- Applications must be submitted at least four (4) months prior to the project start date
- Ministry staff will contact accepted applicants within two (2) weeks of submission to confirm completeness or if their application requires clarification
Government Funding for COVID-19 Economic Recovery
To support the overall growth, innovation, and recovery of all Canadians and Canadian businesses throughout the global pandemic, the Government of Canada is continuously updating and launching government funding initiatives. Therefore, there are numerous types of support programs available that provide funding through grants, loans, or a combination of both, such as the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) and the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
Please visit our COVID-19 Support Page for program details and eligibility requirements for more information or contact the Mentor Works team if you have a project in need.
I need funding for my festival for next summer
Hi Regina – Your organization might be eligible for funding. If you’re interested in this program or others, feel free to contact us and we can determine your eligibility.
I don’t see the maximum amount. Is there one?
Hi Cephas – The program has no predetermined limit on the funding amount requested. However, you must provide a solid rationale to support the funding amount you are requesting. If you would like help with preparing your application, please feel free to contact us. We can assess your project and ensure it’s a good fit, as well as streamline the application process.