As the world continues to respond and follow the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, one of the most common questions we’re receiving is, “What is the government providing to support Canadian businesses affected by COVID-19?”
The government’s responsive actions evolve each day, and Mentor Works is watching closely for business funding stimulus in response to COVID-19.
To support you and your business during this time, we are updating this page daily with resources available to Canadians.
Blogs and External Resources
Federal Responses to COVID-19
- Subsidize 75% of Employee Wages with the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Program: Get up to 75% of employee wages reimbursed through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy program.
- Recap of Canada’s Economic Response to COVID-19: Mentor Works breaks down what the Canadian government’s $27 billion economic support response plan against COVID-19 means for your business and personal income.
- Canadian Banks Offer Relief to Canadians Impacted by COVID-19: Six of Canada’s biggest banks are helping clients experiencing financial interruptions from COVID-19. Read more about the support available.
- Farm Credit Canada Receives $5B to Support Agri-Businesses During COVID-19: Farm Credit Canada has received $5B from the federal government to extend their lending capacity to agri-businesses facing financial hardships due to COVID-19.
- BDC Support For Entrepreneurs Impacted By Coronavirus: The Minister of Finance recently announced increased financing amounts available towards working capital, domestic/international purchase orders, and small business loans in response to COVID-19.
- NRC IRAP Funding Helps Businesses Provide PPE and Sanitizer: The National Research Council Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP) is using funding to help companies make PPE and sanitization equipment.
- $50M in COVID-19 Support from NGen Canada: NGen Manufacturing Canada will invest $50M to fund projects that can provide positive impacts to health care workers and individuals in response to COVID-19.
- Business Continuity Plan And Templates For Entrepreneurs: A suite of resources that businesses can leverage for planning key aspects of their business throughout the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Help Canada Combat Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – Submission Form: The federal government recently released a call regarding medical supplies for assisting the government with the COVID19 response.
Provincial Responses to COVID-19
- Ontario Provincial Government’s Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Page: The Ontario provincial government has coordinated a wealth of information on COVID-19, including how Ontario is responding, testing information, self-isolation tips, the status of cases/testing, and other critical information for both individuals and businesses.
- Ontario List of Essential Services: Ontario Premier Doug Ford has ordered all non-essential stores and services to close at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- March 25, 2020: Ontario’s $17B Action Plan to COVID-19: This $17 billion response is a critical first step to ensure Ontario’s health care system, communities, and economy are positioned to weather the challenges ahead.
- Immediate actions York Region employers should take in response to COVID-19: Written in partnership with Mentor Works. The York Region Economic Strategy is committed to supporting the York Region business community during this difficult and uncertain time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Stop the Spread Business Information Line Now Open: The province has launched a toll-free line 1-888-444-3659 to provide support to Ontario businesses who have questions about the province’s recent emergency order to close at-risk workplaces.
- COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information: BC’s official webpage for essential information, including self-assessments, child care, education, employment/finances, businesses, housing/monthly bills, transportation, travel/tourism, and healthcare.
- Novel Coronavirus Situation Update: Québec has a dedicated page to report on the cases confirmed by region, measures taken by the government, FAQs, and information on school/childcare closures.
- General Alberta COVID-19 Info for Albertans: Reference information for Albertans related to affected organization availability, government service changes, and the government’s response.
- Support for Albertans: The provincial government’s response and resources related to COVID-19, including emergency isolation support, utility payment deferral, student loan repayment deferral, banks/credit unions information, education property tax frees, news, and federal government support.
- Manitoba’s COVID-19 Resources: Manitoba’s COVID-19 resource page provides access to Health Links, a self-screening tool, a news feed of updates, COVID-19 resources, and reported cases.
- Saskatchewan’s COVID-19 Resources: Saskatchewan’s provincial government page dedicated to COVID-19 is providing a self-assessment tool, Public Health orders, as well as information on self-isolation, testing, cases/risks, latest updates, and other resources.
East Coast (Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island)
- Newfoundland & Labrador COVID-19 Resources: Newfoundland and Labrador’s site is dedicated to educating locals of pandemic updates, resources, tips, FAQs, travel advice, business closures, and the latest media briefings. They also offer forms fro public reporting and essential worker child care.
- Nova Scotia Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources: Nova Scotia is providing its residents with alerts & notices, testing data, guidance on when to seek help, tips, support for businesses/health care, and changes to education.
- New Brunswick COVID-19 Resources: The Government of New Brunswick is offering self-assessments, updates on cases/testing, the latest news, and actions that the province is taking in response to COVID-19.
- Prince Edward Island (PEI) COVID-19 Resources: The PEI provincial government has a dedicated site to provide updates on cases and testing results, advice for individuals/families, closure information, FAQs, business resources, travel advisories, public orders, and other information.
Tips for Managing Change from COVID-19
- Individual Income Support Infographic: Find income support options that are available to Canadians affected by COVID-19.
- Improve Your Working from Home Productivity: The team at Mentor Works has put together a list of ways you can increase your productivity when working from home and how to adapt to the working-from-home lifestyle.
- How to Apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit: The Emergency Care Benefit and the Emergency Support Benefit have been merged into the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). The application form will be available on April 6.
- Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic: The effort to address COVID-19 is extremely important for us all and poses a range of challenges on individuals and families as they respond to the demands of the situation. This resource is designed to provide information and suggestions about how best to cope with this difficult time.
COVID-19 Related Webinars
|Event Theme||Date/Time||Location||Funding Topics & Key Takeaways|
|April 8, 2020
|April 14, 2020
|April 23, 2020
Watch Anytime: On-Demand Webinars
- Export Development Canada (EDC) Resources: EDC offered a webinar that’s now available “on demand” to guide businesses as they manage the impact of COVID-19 on their global supply chains, which included Peter Hall, VP and Chief Economist of EDC.
- BDC’s How to Cope with the Impacts of COVID-19 on Your Business: The spread of COVID-19 poses important challenges to Canadian businesses. With the situation constantly evolving, you need to be prepared for any disruptions. Join BDC experts as they share short-term economic perspectives and advice on how to manage through the crisis.
Register for Mentor Works’ upcoming COVID-19 Support for Canadian Businesses Webinar!