Youth STEM – Canadian Government Grants for Developing the Next Generation of Innovators
Program Update: Please note that the government funding programs listed in this article may no longer be available. Please contact a Canadian Government Planner to explore current funding opportunities.
FedDev offers a new program that addresses Canada’s future labour and innovation needs by promoting the development of educational programs and services that focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The Youth STEM program is a $30M initiative that looks to increase the amount of young people planning to pursue a career in one of the fields of STEM.
Details on Ontario Government Funding for Educational Innovation
The Youth STEM program provides funding to eligible not-for-profit organizations with an established reputation for providing STEM outreach programs for youth in southern Ontario. The program provides up to $2M in funding over four years or 100% of the direct eligible expenses for the development and implementation of an educational STEM outreach program. These programs are intended to spark the interest of Canadian students spanning from kindergarten up to grade 12 on the vast applications of science, technology, engineering, and math.
Canadian Government Funding Eligibility
Under the Youth STEM Program, eligible recipients must be classified as a non-profit organization and not directly affiliated with any governmental or educational institutions. Organizations must also have an established track record of providing STEM outreach programs for students within Southern Ontario. Non-profit funding applies to the direct costs regarding the development, delivery and enhancement of educational STEM outreach programs. Eligible STEM educational delivery mechanisms may include:
- Science Fairs
- Educational Competitions
- Mentorship Plans
- Enrichment Programs and Camps
- Early Learning Activity Programs
Canadian Business Funding Grants for STEM Professionals
To further encourage the success of STEM professionals, the Canadian Government offers funding grants for small business planning to hire post-secondary graduates in one of the fields of STEM:
- MITACS Enterprise – provides up to $15K in funding for small business internships involving a Bachelor, Masters, or Ph.D graduates in one of the fields of STEM. Graduates must be hired on for a 6-month internship in a position related to their field of study.
- iSTEM / GEI Program – The Graduate Enterprise Internship program provides up to $15K in non-repayable business funding grants towards the wages and recruitment expenses for a 6-month internship position involving a recent post-secondary graduate in one of the fields of STEM.
- Youth Employment Program (YEP) – This program provides up to $15K per intern ($30K total) for the hiring of up to two post-secondary graduates for a 12-month internship position. This program is open to graduates of all study disciplines and must fill a new role within your organization that calls upon the educational specialization.
Those who are interested in learning more about the Canadian Government funding programs for STEM related enterprise can contact one of our Canadian Small Business Funding Specialists or register for our upcoming Canadian Government Funding Workshop. To stay current with the latest in Small Business Funding Releases, please subscribe to our Weekly Government Funding Newsletter or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.