Western Innovation Initiative (WINN) Canadian Tech Development Funding
Created in 2013, the five-year Western Innovation Initiative (WINN) will invest up to $100 million towards late-stage research and development projects conducted by businesses in western Canada. By commercializing new innovative products and processes, small and mid-sized businesses across western Canada will be able to expand and support employment opportunities.
The Western Innovation Initiative provides eligible applicants with up to 50% of project expenses to a maximum $3.5 million in repayable project funding. WINN provides funding contributions as a 0% loan, which enables intelligent, forward-thinking businesses the ability to extend cash flow and increase the project’s value.
New Application Period: WINN will accept applications until November 29, 2017.
WINN Western Canada Business Funding: Eligible Applicants
Applicants to the Western Innovation Initiative must be located in western Canada. This includes businesses from British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. In addition to this geographic requirement, applicants must:
- Be a for-profit company;
- Maintain fewer than 500 full-time employees (including parents and subsidiaries);
- Have been in operation for at least one year;
- Have IP rights, a current business plan; and
- Sufficient cash or funding to cover the remaining project expenses.
Project Eligibility: WINN Tech Research and Development Funding
Western Canada businesses can apply to WINN technology development funding for a variety of projects including:
- Commercialization of new, innovative technology-based products, services, or processes;
- Improvement of existing technologies;
- Technology demonstration and pilot projects;
- Validation of end-user utility and market acceptance potential;
- Product certifications; and
- Marketing, human resources, productivity, or quality improvements directly supporting the innovation of technologies.
Apply for Western Innovation Initiative (WINN) Technology Commercialization Funding
The current application intake period for the Western Innovation Initiative is open until November 29, 2017. Applicants beginning technology commercialization projects in the next 6-12 months should apply now.
Eligible businesses from western Canada must act quickly to receive WINN research funding. Consider beginning your document preparation now to ensure your business is able to receive this round of funding. WINN has not announced any additional intake periods beyond the November 29, 2017 round, however future intake periods may be posted.
To get started with this western Canada government funding initiative, interested businesses can contact Mentor Works to check their eligibility and consult next steps.