Advancing Water Technologies (AWT) is an Ontario government funding program supporting technology-driven industry-academic research collaborations. Industry partners may receive up to 50% of project expenses to a maximum $100,000 in Ontario government grants.
To receive funding through the program, businesses must submit an application detailing their project and research partners to be considered. Applicants’ applications must be submitted by the program’s stated deadline; otherwise companies must wait for the next round of funding.
The application period for Advancing Water Technologies closed on September 1, 2017. Browse other research and development grants for business.
Advancing Water Technologies (AWT) Research and Development Grants
Advancing Water Technologies helps technology developers to collaborate with post-secondary institutions to further develop and test innovations. These partnerships will accelerate the commercialization process and help technologies reach the market faster.
The AWT program has two main objectives:
- Improve Ontario’s water cluster, while enhancing the province’s reputation for water excellence worldwide; and
- Develop sustainable water solutions to advance the commercialization of water technologies and services across the province.
The program provides up to 50% of project expenses to a maximum $100,000 in technology development grants.
Southern Ontario technology developers will be able to work with a variety of post-secondary researchers to perform the project’s innovative research. Participating institutions include:
[eva_sh_column add_item=”Add Column” element_custom_class=”list-column”][eva_sh_column_item column_size=”1 / 2″]
- Ryerson University;
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology;
- University of Western Ontario;
- University of Guelph;
- University of Toronto;
[/eva_sh_column_item][eva_sh_column_item column_size=”1 / 2″]
- University of Waterloo;
- Wilfred Laurier University;
- McMaster University; and
- Fleming College.
Advancing Water Technologies Business Eligibility Criteria
To be considered for Ontario government funding, industry partners must:
- Maintain at least two full-time employees;
- Be in operations for a minimum 2 years;
- Be located in southern Ontario;
- Be financially stable; and
- Demonstrate how their project will generate positive economic benefits (such as job creation).
AWT Technology Development Grants: Project Eligibility
Ontario government funding will be provided to eligible organizations completing one of the following project types:
- Development of globally competitive technologies, products, and/or services for Ontario’s water sector;
- Commercialization activities for innovative products; and
- Field testing, validation, and/or demonstration of a prototype.
Please Note: AWT only supports technologies that will be market-ready within 18 months.
Apply to the Advancing Water Technologies (AWT) Program
AWT requires candidates to complete a two-stage application process, including a preliminary intake form and a comprehensive application package. On average, it can take up to 6-8 weeks before businesses receive approval into the program.
Please Note: The application period for Advancing Water Technologies has closed. There are no future intakes announced, so please browse other research and development funding opportunities for your business.