The Canada Media Fund’s (CMF) Experimental Stream offers repayable business funding for digital media projects that are intended for use in the Canadian media industry, or public use by Canadians. This Canadian government funding program offered through the Canada Media Fund is provided to eligible applicants through a low-interest loan (prime + 1%). In the latest round of funding, limits and other details have changed from previous rounds, which we will cover in this article.
Funding Limits Changed
The CMF has updated the funding limits for the Experimental stream. Within the Experimental stream there are three stages of funding that digital media businesses can apply for – development and production – to support different phases of their project.
- Development: Previously small businesses could apply for up to $400,000, but the new limit is now $300,000. Applicants can still apply for up to 75% of project costs, but the maximum contribution is now $300,000.
- Production: Previously small businesses could apply for up to $1,000,000, but the new limit is now $1,200,000. The new maximum is still capped at 75% of project costs.
- Marketing & Promotion Stream: Funding limits for this stream have not changed and remain at up to $400,000 or 75% of eligible project costs.
As the funds support different phases of a project, businesses can leverage both envelopes of Experimental funding. Digital media firms leveraging both envelopes of funding can new utilize a maximum of $1,200,000 across both development and production phases.
Experimental Stream 2015 Deadlines
Funding for development and production deadlines are fast approaching. This Canadian small business funding opportunity operates on two annual application deadlines for each stream. The 2015 deadlines for development and production streams are as follows:
- Development: May 12, 2015 and October 6, 2015
- Production: April 21, 2015 and September 22, 2015
- Marketing & Promotion: May 12, 2015 and October 6, 2015
Learn More About this Canadian Government Funding Opportunity
Interested in learning more about the Canada Media Fund? Choose from one of the following in order to explore further details of this program. If you believe you are ready to get started on your application, select “Get Started”.
Learn About Other Small Business Funding Opportunities
If you have other projects that you are planning for 2015 or beyond, contact one of our Government Funding Experts to learn about funding opportunities available to your small business. Mentor Works has partnered with hundreds of businesses across Canada to provide cash flow planning and project financing support. You can register for one of our upcoming Canadian government funding events or sign up for our weekly small business government grants and loans e-newsletter to receive regular Canadian government funding updates.