The Greater Sudbury area had four large northern Ontario government funding announcements in December 2015, totaling over $847,000 awarded in grants and loans. Provided through the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC), small business funding is available to encourage business innovation across northern Ontario. The four investments made will aid the Northern Centre for Advanced Technology (NORCAT) and three small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) in the area to develop industry leading products and processes.
Related Success Story: NOHFC Northern Ontario Business Grants Support Nipissing-Parry Sound Region – Six entities in North Bay and other northern Ontario communities received $4.6 million in Ontario government funding through NOHFC programs.
Recipients of NOHFC Ontario Government Grants and Loans
All four recipients of NOHFC Ontario government funding used their subsidies to support innovation projects. Especially for businesses in northern Ontario, there is a demand for innovative projects that will fuel business growth and support the region’s economic health. If your business is planning a project similar to these winning projects, consider submitting an application to NOHFC.
- The Northern Centre for Advanced Technology (NORCAT) is a not-for-profit technology and innovation centre. The organization will receive $375,000 in funding to upgrade ventilation and electrical systems in their underground (mining) training centre. These improvements will help northern Ontario businesses lead the way towards a safer, more productive mining industry.
- Nor-Vac Industrial Services will be developing technology that revolutionizes the way hardened concrete is removed from mobile-ready mix drums. Using hydraulics and vibratory technology, Nor-Vac Industrial Services’ innovative project will help the company to add four new full-time jobs and secure up to $250,000 in northern Ontario government funding.
- Verv Technology will receive up to $184,500 for their development of a portable blood plasma separator. Users of the product will have access to lab-quality diagnostic testing through their smartphone which provides more convenient, reliable process than other systems.
- EnergyMax Manufacturing is developing equipment designed to recover and reuse wasted thermal energy. Household or business appliances such as furnaces, hot water tanks, boilers, and solar connectors that give off heat will be made up to 95% more efficient due to the ability to store their unused heat energy. EnergyMax Manufacturing will receive up to $38,175 as part of their Ontario government funding win.
Attend a Free Canadian Government Funding Webinar – Canadian small businesses can attend a free webinar on topics such as funding for innovation, funding for manufacturers, and grants and loans for export expansion. Discover your options and obtain small business grants.
Get Started with NOHFC Ontario Small Business Funding
The Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) helps to administer Ontario government grants and loans through a variety of innovation-boosting programs. Specifically designed to benefit businesses in northern Ontario, NOHFC enables businesses to receive funding for a wide range of projects that will improve local business conditions. If your business is expanding or relocating to northern Ontario, these funds may be the right fit for your business funding strategy.
Eligible businesses applying to NOHFC programs may receive up to 50% of eligible project costs to a maximum of $250k – $1M, depending on the project and stream being applied for. Northern Ontario businesses interested in this program can submit questions or request consultations to confirm the most appropriate NOHFC funding stream.
- Canadian Business Insights: Report Shows Lack of Indigenous Representation in B.C.’s Tech Sector
- Six Northern Ontario Film Projects Receive Funding from NOHFC
- NOHFC Invests $6M in Ontario’s Agri-food Sector
- The NOHFC Has Invested $11.8M in Northern Ontario Tourism Sector in 2022
- NOHFC Awards $2.1M to Six Northern Ontario Businesses for Innovative Projects